?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20170807_PGS.jpg

Interview with Br. Peter Khai

By Our Own Correspondent

Vunabosco, PNG, 7 August 2017 -- Br. Peter Khai, born in Daklak (Vietnam) as 7th of nine siblings in 1982, Salesian profession in 2006, missionary in PNG since 2010, Economer & In charge of the boarding house, PNG, East New Britain province, Vunabosco community.

Who is your model of Salesian Brother? What does attract you to become a Brother?

When I look at some Salesian Brothers in Vietnam, I like their life witness so much! For example some of them are very talented, for example in music or other skills useful in our Youth Ministry. But when I discovered my own motivation, I realized that I must become holy! Work and mission is not everything! On other side, Salesian priests have positions and I don’t like to compare or to ‘fight’ – so I resolved to be stronger in holiness! Yes, everyday holiness that is realized by ordinary life faithfulness – so I try to be more faithful! I know, it’s not easy to live Salesian vocation, since I know many Salesian Brothers who already left the congregation. I would like to be faithful in spite of the difficulties, based on prayer!

What makes you happy and joyful as Salesian Brother?

When we talk about Salesian Brother, we understand somebody who is well connect with people around us. Like if I go shopping, ordinary people they recognize me as Brother in the shopping mall (Tropicana in Kokopo). All the people in the market know me, since I talked to them every day when I go shopping.

Same happiness does happen also in our community life. Sometimes to live together is a big challenge, but mostly it’s a great support in my vocation.

And also in the mission, like here in the Agro-technical boarding school: when other people are happy - I’m deeply joyful!

Happy? Sometimes I’m not happy, but I’m deeply joyful! Our life of Salesian Brothers has not easy obstacle or experience fight due to the frequent contact with the secular world and society. Sometimes I’m troubled by these things, but as Salesian I’m deeply joyful!

I’m joyful, because I’m a Salesian, due to the charism of Don Bosco. Really it’s interesting and totally different compared to the diocese and other congregations. Usually I keep in touch with other congregation living in Kokopo (MSC, Marist, SVD). When we meet we ask each other: How are you, are you happy? When we talk together it’s very nice and we learn from each other.

God has given me a simple, but very special gift of Salesian Brother vocation. Also my relatives ask me what is so interesting in religious life? I can’t explain, but there is some deep excitement in my life, that makes me joyful.

I know that some Vietnamese brothers they are not faithful in mission land, so I made a simple resolution to be faithful in my vocation until the last moment of my life with a prayers. I'm always keeping in mind the quote of holy Salesian missionary bishop and martyr, Luis Versiglia: A missionary who does not pray becomes like channel detached from the source of living water....

How to enhance more the specific contribution and visibility of the Salesian Brother?

Usually Salesian Brother can communicate with the people outside more than the priest, although they respect the priest, but usually people can’t approach him more closely.

Sometimes our mutual relationship is about ‘psychology’ – some Salesian Brothers demand too much or complain. But actually the priests they support us a lot!

Yes, we face also more temptations. I’m just a Brother and I don’t need to pray like priests with their duties of the breviary (Liturgy of hours). So I just work more with a prayerful heart!

We need more focus and visibility in all kinds of Salesian media or Salesian Bulletin, like Br. Mon in Manila showed us the support in the FB or website about the Salesian Brother.

Any expectation, dream or wish about Salesian priest?

I’m glad that in my novitiate batch eight of us are Brothers and also in the next batch. We support each other. Yes, we need to pray to Bl. Artemide Zatti, Bl. Steven Sandor and Venerable Simon Srugi. We need to pray for the quality and new Salesian Brother Vocation!

If we look at some Brothers who are not holy, not zealous in the mission or in Salesian vocation we are not happy. But in the case of the Salesian priest, we feel still more sad! As Brothers we are upset, but at those mediocre Salesian priest we are really very sad. My expectation is that Salesian priest not only knows how to listen but to become holy. I don’t’ need a talented rector, but holy rector. It would help my fidelity in my vocation.

20170807_PGS1.jpg

20170807_PGS2.jpg

20170807_PGS3.jpg

20170807_PGS4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4467(II)_A province with more bishops than novices

With passion and creativity for the vocation culture in PNG - Solomon Islands By Our Own Correspondent Port Moresby, PNG, 14 August 2017 -- More Salesian bishops than Salesian novices? Yes, all around the world we count an average of 450 Sa...
    Date2017.08.15 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views869 file
    Read More
  2. 4466(I)_Salesian Family relaunching

Sharing Salesian Charism in the Pacific By Our Own Correspondent Port Moresby, PNG, 12 August 2017 -- It' only one year ago when the new Vice-province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands was born. 37 years afte...
    Date2017.08.14 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views919 file
    Read More
  3. 4461(III)_EAO Regional Superior visits DBTI

By Ms. Arlene Abital Photographs by Arlene Abital and Karl David Valmonte Port Moresby, PNG, 8 August 2017 -- The Educative Pastoral Community of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko headed by Fr. Louie Castañeda, SDB, Rector warmly we...
    Date2017.08.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views660 file
    Read More
  4. 4459(II)_Salesian Brother sharing in view of the EAO Salesian Brothers Congress (August 2018)

Interview with Br. Peter Khai By Our Own Correspondent Vunabosco, PNG, 7 August 2017 -- Br. Peter Khai, born in Daklak (Vietnam) as 7th of nine siblings in 1982, Salesian profession in 2006, missionary in PNG since 2010, Economer & In c...
    Date2017.08.07 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1340 file
    Read More
  5. 4458(II)_Don Bosco Simbu Technical College is growing

Don Bosco education is attracting hundreds to Kumgi By Cl. Bernard Kaiau, SDB Kumgi, Papua New Guinea, 4 August 2017 -- I'm happy to be part of this thriving community in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea. This year with 439 students, most ...
    Date2017.08.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2763 file
    Read More
  6. 4454(II)_Bosconians value oral hygiene

By Ms. Arlene Abital Port Moresby, PNG, 28 July 2017 -- Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko joined the whole nation in celebrating the National Tooth Brushing Day on July 28, 2017. Assembled in the soccer area, each student held a too...
    Date2017.08.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1210 file
    Read More
  7. 4454(I)_Communion - Accompaniment - Salesian Family

PGS Honiara-Tetere By Salesian Family of Solomon Islands Honiara-Tetere, PNG, 30 July 2017 -- We were lucky, that the first animation visit in the EAO region this summer started in Solomon Islands. Immediately after arrival on July 29 to Ho...
    Date2017.08.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1241 file
    Read More
  8. 4453_"I am willing to be a priest"

Vocation Story By Peter Ramoga, DBTI student Port Moresby, PNG, 30 July 2017 -- My name is Peter Ramoga. I was born into a Catholic family. My father’s name is Rolland Ramoga, and my mother is Catherine Ramoga. I am the first born of eight ...
    Date2017.07.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views995 file
    Read More
  9. 4451(I)_Kerema diocese presbytery is growing

First priestly ordination of Bishop Peter Baquero, SDB By Fr. Joseph Thanh, SDB Kerema, PNG, July 2017 -- We send our congratulations to the newly ordained priest, Father John Billy. He is the first (diocesan) priest in Bema parish to be or...
    Date2017.07.29 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views888 file
    Read More
  10. 4447(I)_Don't let your batteries control you!

Article on the Formation Talk on Social Media By Emma Schmidt, DBTI Student Port Moresby, PNG, 22 July 2017 -- We are living in the world of technology and it is here to stay! Fr. Ambrose Pereira SDB, addressed the members of the Mary Our H...
    Date2017.07.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views748 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 54 Next
/ 54