PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1386 Comment 1
20180606_KOR.jpg

Missionary Journey of Fr. Jose Maria Blanco

By Fr. José María Blanco, SDB
Spanish missionary in Korea

Seoul, Korea, 6 May 2018 -- I was born in Madrid in 1930, into a fervent Christian family. In the Lent of 1945 I came across a book called "Volunteers". It narrated stories of missionaries and had a few pages of explanation on vocation. I read the book out of curiosity and I was immediately fascinated. It opened up to me unsuspected horizons full of charm. I discovered the value of a life spent in following Jesus and spreading his Gospel. When I went to the school chapel after that and knelt near the Tabernacle, I thought of the words of Jesus to the apostles: "Come and follow me." I recalled Saint Francis Xavier, who died at the age of 43 after a life of preaching the Gospel.

While in the novitiate I applied to go to the missions. The day after my Religious Profession, the provincial read out the names of those accepted. Of the 63 newly professed, 32 were announced for South America. My name was missing. I was sad, but the provincial continued, "And this year, four of the newly professed will go to Japan," and read out the names. The third name was mine. I was stunned. I went straight from the dining hall to the chapel and wept out of emotion.

I arrived in Japan in January 1950. Obedience sent me later to Korea. I arrived there on Friday, March 30, 1962. I was appointed an assistant parish priest in the suburbs of Seoul, in the parish of San Giovanni Bosco. That afternoon the Christians made the Way of the Cross. Everyone knelt on the wooden floor, the men to the right, the women to the left, leaving a corridor in the centre of the church. After the Way of the Cross, many stayed on for night prayers. The next morning, after Mass too, many people stayed back to pray, and we meditated with them, sitting on the floor.

The first days were difficult, but slowly I realized that everything had been a gift from Heaven. The Christians gave us an example of prayer, sitting on the floor near the tabernacle. They helped us also to a life of sharing in poverty, with patience, hope and joy. They loved us very much. One of the bigger challenges I faced was the language. I had already learned Japanese and now I started with Korean, which was more complex. Another challenge is that, even at this moment, Catholics are only (already!) 10% of the population.

It also hurts me to see Korea, even now, divided into two separate nations. The greatest joys I have experienced have been the baptisms of catechumens and the religious profession of novices. It is also a joy to see the progress that Korea has made. It used to be a very poor nation. Now, thanks to the work culture and organizational skills of Koreans, it is a nation where you see order, progress and a dignified standard of living. Everyone is willing to share their wealth with poorer nations.

I would like to remind young people who wish to become missionaries that the foundation of a life of personal prayer, a joyful community life and all our activities, is the Love of Jesus, truly present in the Most Holy Eucharist. We need to visit the Blessed Sacrament every day. Furthermore, we cultivate with gratitude a devotion to the Virgin and pray the Rosary, as Don Bosco taught us to.

We try to live with a heart always open to the good examples and lessons of others, especially the poor. Once Mathew, a poor old Christian, asked me how I would summarize the Gospel into just a few words. I immediately started to explain, mentioning some essential elements. Good old Mathew listened to me patiently. Finally, he said, "Don’t you think you were a little long?" And I said to him, "Well, then, tell me how you would do it in fewer words.” And Matthew said, "For me the Gospel is this: ‘If someone slaps you on the right cheek, present him the left.’”

20180606_KOR1.jpg

20180606_KOR2.jpg

20180606_KOR3.jpg

20180606_KOR4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • drans 2018.06.18 15:46

Loving Jesus in holy perseverance after the example of St. John Bosco

1. 4913(II)_The Rector Major's official visit to Korea 2018 has begun

Rector Major's visit to Korea (1) By KOR SC Center Seoul, South Korea, 13 November 2018 -- The Rector Major, Fr Ángel Fernández Artime, SDB and his companions Fr Vaclav Klement (the Regional Councillor EAO), and Fr Horacio Lopez, Secretary,...
    Date2018.11.13 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1355 file
    Read More
  2. 4904_Prayerful discernment for the new provincial of Korea

Frank and open sharing among the confreres By Fr Joseph Ra, SDB Provincial secretary, KOR Seoul, Korea, 6 November 2018 -- During last week, November 1-6, the EAO regional councillor was in the Korean province to accompany the initial disce...
    Date2018.11.07 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views840 file
    Read More
  3. 4902(II)_Whispering the Gospel in Korea

Salesian Mission Day 2018 in Seoul By Fr. Timothy Choi, SDB Provincial delegate for missionary animation Seoul, Korea, 28 October 2018 -- The Provincial Commission for Mission animation (Commission head Fr Timothy Choi) prepared the Salesia...
    Date2018.11.05 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views747 file
    Read More
  4. 4901(II)_Caritas of Jesus Sisters in Suncheon are touching hearts through quality medical care

Towards the 50th anniversary of St. Carollo Hospital (Caritas Sisters) KOREA By Fr Stefano Yang, SDB Suncheon, Korea, 2 November 2018 -- Twenty years after the blessing of the new St Carollo (St Charles) hospital building in Suncheon in 199...
    Date2018.11.03 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1558 file
    Read More
  5. 4887(III)_Shining model of first Spanish missionary in Korea

Fr Jesus Molero passed away By Fr Joseph NA, SDB Secretary KOR Seoul, Korea, 18 October 2018 --The most senior member of the Korean Salesian Province (KOR) passed away on 18 October October 18. He was Spanish missionary, Fr Jesús Molero, ha...
    Date2018.10.20 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1116 file
    Read More
  6. 4842(I)_Life-long commitment to the technical education for the benefit of the poor youth

Brother Mario Bois receives 28th Ilga Award By Fr. Raphael Lee, SDB Seoul, Korea, 1 September 2018 -- In the Grace Hall of Mil-Al School (Seoul, ROK), together with other two Awardee, Salesian Brother Mario Bois, SDB was awarded a prestigou...
    Date2018.09.06 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1135 file
    Read More
  7. 4792(I)_Manga “CORAGGIO!! – Don Bosco’s Dream that continues”

Published in Korean language By Fr. John Bosco Lee Seoul, Korea, 16 July 2018 -- Three years after the launching of Don Bosco Manga "Coraggio - Don Bosco Dream does continue!" by the Japan Province (Don Bosco Editorial - DB Sha) in Tokyo, i...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views3552 file
    Read More
  8. 4754(I)_Promise to serve with whole heart the youth in Mongolia

Sending lay missionary volunteers By Fr. Raphael Lee, SDB Seoul, Korea, 4 June 2018 -- Don Bosco Nanum (Korea Province Mission Office) advertised on the web (www.ibosco.net) as well through the printed media on behalf of the Mongolia - Ulaa...
    Date2018.06.10 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views1195 file
    Read More
  9. 4748(II)_68 Years of Missionary Life in East Asia

Missionary Journey of Fr. Jose Maria Blanco By Fr. José María Blanco, SDB Spanish missionary in Korea Seoul, Korea, 6 May 2018 -- I was born in Madrid in 1930, into a fervent Christian family. In the Lent of 1945 I came across a book called...
    Date2018.06.06 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views1386 file
    Read More
  10. 4747(II)_100 village school dream remain part of Salesian history

74 village schools built in South Sudan South Korea Mission Office By Fr. Raphael Lee, SDB Mission Office Director Seoul, Korea, 5 May 2018 -- In the monthly letter to the benefactors, donors and friend of Don Bosco, the Director of "DON BO...
    Date2018.06.05 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1286 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Next
/ 21