Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20170510_KOR.jpg

Interview with Sr. Teresia Furuki, 

Superior General of the Caritas Sisters of Jesus

By Salesian Bulletin KOR - May 2017

Seoul, Korea, 10 May 2017 -- Sr. Teresia Furuki gave this interview during her Korean language course in Korea last March and the interview was translated from Japanese to Korean by Sr. Ursula Chong. We share shortened version of the interview (The Salesian Bulletin of Korea, n. 144 – May 2017)

Vocation journey?

I was born in Fukuoka, Southern Japan in a traditional Catholic family. Among 9 siblings we are four members of the Salesian family (elder brother SDB, elder sister CSJ – both already passed away and younger sister – CSJ is a missionary in Bolivia). When I was five years old I met one sister in the hospital after a car accident of my brother. She invited me in a straightforward way: ‘Furuki, It would be nice, if become a Sister!’ And my reply and promise was ‘Yes’. And from that moment on I try to keep this promise and from my high school age I joined the Caritas Aspirants (grade 7). That Sister became later on Sr. Apolinaris, former Mother General who passed away in 2015.

Your personal feeling at the moment of election as Superior General?

Last May 30, 2015 suddenly our former Mother General Sr. Apolinaris Yuriko passed away during her visit to Brazil vice-province. I was the Moderator of the General Chapter called for the election of her successor. I was very sure, that I would be not elected, since I have not the necessary qualities. After election I was much afraid and would like to escape, since I never imagine this situation before. However due the prayer of many Sisters and with a faith in God’s Providence and Grace I did accept this service.

What is the charisma of Caritas Sisters of Jesus?

Of course we find it in our Constitutions in very detailed way. Our charism is about sharing the Love of God with the people. We can know it through the first generation of Salesian missionaries in Japan – Fr. Vincenzo Cimatti and Fr. Antonio Cavoli. During their missionary send-off Eucharist the third successor of Don Bosco Blessed Philip Rinaldi told them: ‘Japan is a developed country but Japanese people don’t know yet about God. Their hearts can be touched only by the Love of God!’ And the first Salesian did their best to put in the first mission very poor mission of Miyazaki this advice in action. In the parish of Miyazaki the Salesians started a charity mission with a help of young ladies called ‘Sisters of Mary’ through family visits. Then was founded a ‘House of Salvation’ for homeless people where the first members of the ‘Society of Mercy (愛子會) lived and served the poor. These are our roots through the practice of God’s Mercy and this life model attracted many more young women to follow Jesus in our Congregation and this became also our spirituality.

You celebrate 80th anniversary of foundation. How do you envision your future?

My dream about the Caritas of Jesus Congregation? It’s a difficult question. Although we don’t have a clear vision, we live faithfully on the journey indicated by God. As a Superior general I live always with an open heart trying to do my best. I’m always trusting in God, whatever does happen on our journey. During my term of service to the Congregation I wish not to like to focus on some new or great external work that would attract attention in the world or in the Church. I’m happy even if some Sisters after my term of service would question: ‘What did we accomplish during Sr. Teresia Furuki’s term?’ I would only help each one of our Sisters would live with an open heart and fix her eyes at God and walk with Him joyfully to live our spirituality. This my dream about our future, this is my most important mission as the Superior of our Congregation.

You served as the head of the Commission for the revision of the Constitutions. What are the most important parts of your Constitutions and Regulations?

Thanks to help of many Sisters, of Fr. Midali, SDB our new Constitutions are close to the original version and renewed according the present biblical, theological and ecclesial vision. It was a very long journey, we needed a lot of patience especially due to the fast growth of the Congregation to more than 15 countries from the foundation situation in Japan. This long and slow process started in 2004. The Portuguese, Korean and Japanese versions of the renewed Constitutions were studied, translated forth and back few time in order to get the common understanding in all languages and culture where our sisters are living. In the same time the Regulations became shorter to give more space to the provincial directory that give more localized indication in each different situation.

Any greeting to the Sisters living three Korean provinces?

Congratulations for the 80th anniversary of our foundation and 60th anniversary of our start in Korea! It seems that now after 80 years there are more people you hunger for love than in 1937, there are more people who are waiting for the Mercy of God in our times! I think, that our Congregation is more needed than in the past! In the present situation we don’t’ need so much showy great works or institutions. We need that each of our Sister will practice the Love of God. Let’s become in this way the Caritas Sister of Jesus Congregation religious! We ponder the words of Blessed Don Rinaldi in 1925 when we sent first nine Salesian missionaries to Japan: ‘Only with Love - Caritas will touch and attract the hearts of the people!’ This is the origin of our Charism, lived among the first Sister with Fr. Cimatti and Fr. Cavoli. I pray for the evangelization in this country. Don’t forget our first love and first heart! We are united in prayer!

Sr. Teresia was born in 1964 (Japan, Fukuoka), made her first profession in 1986, after the perpetual profession in 1992 was sent to the Philippines (Santa Rosa). In 2004 was elected as the General Councilor for Education, in 2010 as the General Councilor for Formation and last October 2015 as the Mother General.

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4497(II)_Wasting time with the young people until they feel they are loved

An ordinary lunch break in Salesian School, Kwangju KOR By Fr. Joseph Sin Minsoo, SDB Gwangju, Korea, 17 September 2017 -- As in every Don Bosco School, the break or lunch time is the most precious time for the assistance - being present am...
    Date2017.09.17 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1345 file
    Read More
  2. 4494(III)_Listening to the young people - important mission for the youth in Korea

Youth Counselling & Welfare center in Chuncheon: 1388 channel open 24 hrs By Bro. Mark Choi, SDB Chuncheon, Korea, 13 September 2017 -- Within the fast changing and ageing society of South Korea one of the youth main needs is without do...
    Date2017.09.13 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1044 file
    Read More
  3. 4488(II)_Korean inter-faith pilgrimage to the Vatican led by Bosconian Archbishop

The world is watching the high tension on Korean peninsula By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 2 September 2017 -- Amidst a high tension caused by the launching of IBCM (Inter-continental ballistic missile) and sixth test of the nuclear ...
    Date2017.09.05 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views911 file
    Read More
  4. 4486_Living and witnessing the Love of Jesus

Caritas Sisters of Suwon Province - Witness to the Gospel By Sr. Blasio Yun Hee Jeong, CSG Provincial of our Lady Province Yangpyeng, Korea, 3 September -- Suwon Province of Our Lady of Gospel Witness was founded in 2009 when the one Korean...
    Date2017.09.03 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views715 file
    Read More
  5. 4484(II)_Formation of Salesian Mission Partners is the key to the future

Lay Mission Partners in Korean By Our Own Correspondent Dae Jeon, Korea, 30 August 2017 -- The Salesian Youth Center in Dae Jeon (150 km south from Seoul) was founded exactly 25 years ago. Over the years the profile of our mission changed f...
    Date2017.08.31 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views569 file
    Read More
  6. 4481_Good chance to grow in communion in the worldwide Salesian community

Korea province extraordinary visitation commenced By SC Team KOR Tae An, Korea, 27 August 2017 -- Five years after the previous Extraordinary visitation in 2012 (Fr. Andrew Wong), the Korean province has a good opportunity to strengthen the...
    Date2017.08.28 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views618 file
    Read More
  7. 4458(I)_You are the Light of the World (Matthew 5,14)

Summer Youth School of Faith By Youth ministry team, KOR Naeri, Korea, 4 August 2017 -- Also this year the nation wide famous 'Salesian Summer School of Faith' is going on in the sea shore campsite of Naeri (Tae An, Chung Cheong Nam Provinc...
    Date2017.08.05 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views469 file
    Read More
  8. 4377(II)_Caritas Sister celebrate 80th anniversary of the Congregation (1937-2017)

Interview with Sr. Teresia Furuki, Superior General of the Caritas Sisters of Jesus By Salesian Bulletin KOR - May 2017 Seoul, Korea, 10 May 2017 -- Sr. Teresia Furuki gave this interview during her Korean language course in Korea last Marc...
    Date2017.05.10 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views723 file
    Read More
  9. 4367(I)_EAO Congress Preparation (8)

KOR: Enthusiasm and energy in formation By Mr. Celestino Yu, ASC KOR Provincial Coordinator Seoul, Korea, 1 May 2017 -- At present in the Korean Province we have 395 Salesian Cooperators with promise (including 74 inactive members who didn'...
    Date2017.05.09 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views546 file
    Read More
  10. 4362(I)_Priestly Ordination in Korea

By Fr. John Bosco Lee, SDB Seoul, Korea -- On April 20th, the Salesian Province in Korea held the fervent and joyful Ceremony of the Ordination of four Priests and one Deacon. Bishop Luc Van Looy SDB, Bishop of the Diocese of Gent, Belgium,...
    Date2017.05.09 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views651 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Next
/ 21