Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20180507_ITM.jpg

Interview with Mr. Rui da Costa Belo - Fatumaca

By Br. Filipe da Conceicao, SDB

Fatumaca, Timor Leste, 7 May 2018 -- Mr. Rui da Costa Belo was born 83 years ago and follow the call of God as Catholic catechist and teacher in Salesian schools since 1962, for past 56 years! In 1962 was called by Fr. Joao de Deus, SDB to teach Primary school in Baucau, continued next year in Baguia and sice 1964 is faithful to Don Bosco mission in Fatumaca 1964 as teacher and catechist. Until now he is active as teacher and catechist, grateful to God for his family of nine children (two in Great Britain, six in Dili - Timor Leste and one Canossian sister). On the occasion of Fatumaca teachers formation (May 6) our faithful, dedicated and humble lay mission partner share his interview facilitated by Br. Filipe SDB (interpreter from Tetun to English).

What makes you happy in Don Bosco schools?

Yes, the spirit of Don Bosco, following of Don Boscos charism makes me happy. When I share the Gospel, proclaim the Word of God i'm deeply joyful. It brings me closer to God in the footsteps of Don Bosco. I'm happy since I meet the youth every day. Through the education I'm getting closer to God and as catechist I bring the grace of God to them.

And what about the thousand of your former students - some of them Alumni of Don Bosco?

There are too many of them, it's difficult to remember of them. Only if I meet some of them, or some come to visit my family, they express their gratitude.

What are the challenges of teacher and catechist today?

There are always some little challenges or problems with the students. You need to approach them. Only with the wisdom of God we can solve these problem. Some of our students are naughty, some of them didn’t their homework. But you need to be there, you need to accompany them and remind them again.

Yes, patience if our main necessary virtue as teachers! Without patience you can’t do nothing as educator!

How did you encounter Don Bosco?

I have learn from the living models of many Salesians. Since my studies in minor seminary (Manatuto) with the Dominicans in 1958, I watched some Don Bosco videos but I met Don Bosco only after meeting Salesians in Baucau (1962) when Fr. Joao de Deus, my great friend and father, called me to teach there.

Any concern about the Youth of Timor Leste today?

My concern is about the changing times, before the youth listen and obeyed. But now with the coming of democracy everybody is equal. For the teachers it does mean a challenge: I feel sad, if we can’t listen to each other as teacher and student.

In this fast changing cultural situation can Don Bosco education system help us?

Yes, Don Bosco is in heaven, but his spirit is always amongst us and can help us.

After 52 years of Don Bosco Fatumaca, many things changed for Fatumaca people. Now everybody is a Catholic Christian, unlike before. Also the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians open in 1988 is the same, open every day. But in modern time usualy few people come to the Mass on weekdays, but still crowds - of many Catholics come on Feastday. They bring their concerns, personal problems to Mary. Now people are more busy with their survival and work than before.

What is your experience as Catechist?

Over part 56 years I prepared many children, young and adults for the first communion, confirmation or marriage, catechumens for baptism and couples for Catholic marriage, catechumens. Catechesis in Fatumaca is happening in the Mary Help of Christians shrine, in the schools or in our family house. I became catechist for a simple reason: many didn’t want to become so I felt this call. And I will continue as catechist until the last breath! It’s my vocation, given from God. Now many Catholics are looking for money or salary and are not interested about this important ministry. When we invite them, their first question: Who will pay me?

Your message to the other lay mission partners in the EAO region?

The Word of God, the Bible is not very frequently in the hands of young Timorese. We need to make appeal, to make it available everywhere, it’s our only way of salvation. We need to strengthen the faith in Jesus Christ, the only Way for our salvation. I would like to invite everybody especially in the month of Mary to deepen our faith with the prayer of the Rosary, my favourite and with the prayer of Hail Mary, the 'best prayer'!

And one more appeal to the young Timorese Catholics: we are in debt with many foreing missionaries who brought and nurture our faith in the past. Now is the time for us to become missionary! Please, take this call and challenge!

20180507_ITM1.jpg

20180507_ITM2.jpg

20180507_ITM3.jpg

20180507_ITM4.jpg

20180507_ITM5.jpg