PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 689 Comment 0

20170522_ITM.jpg

Young generation of Timorese Salesians in Los Palos

By Fr. Tomas de Carvalho, SDB
Rector, Los Palos prenovitiate

Los Palos, Timor Leste, 20 May 2017 -- More than 30 prenovices coming from two senior Aspirantates (Dili – Comoro Centec and Fatumaca Secondary School) entered in January 2017 the pre-novitiate of Los Palos. Until next November 2017 they are accompanied by the Salesian community with Rector Fr. Tomas De Carvalho, three priests and 3 assistants (one deacon and two clerics). At present there are in Los Palos 26 prenovices, aged 18-23 years, exposed to complete Salesian setting of a missionary parish, orphanage, Oratory with a not-so-distant Salesian Agricultural school in Fuiloro.

Interview with two of the prenovices offers an insight in the soul of the young Salesian generations of Timor Leste: prenovice Adao (20 years) is coming from Dili Aspirantate (candidates from non-Salesian setting) and prenovices Denilson (19 years) is coming from the Fatumaca Salesian Aspirantate – senior high school.

How did you encounter Jesus in your life?

I met Jesus in my family, since my childhood – we are eight children and I’m the sixth. My inspiration was the family that brought me in the Catholic Church and my parents and Salesians helped me to meet Jesus. I didn’t meet Jesus face to face, but through the Salesian Brothers and Priest.

I met Jesus through the Word of God and through the good attitude of other people around me. We are 7 siblings in my own family and the foster family that takes care about me from my childhood, since I have moved to Dili when I was three months old.

How did you encounter Don Bosco in your life?

Growing in the Salesian environment with Fr. Manuel Fraile and Br. Jose Ribeiro, I met Don Bosco through the Salesian missionaries. When I saw the Salesian missionaries I start question myself: Why other country people come and serve us, why not me? It was main attraction.

I met Don Bosco through my family, where are Bosconians and continued with the Salesian education, first in the FMA elementary school (Maria Auxiliadora – Dili, Comoro), then junior high school (SDB Venilale) and finally in secondary school (SDB Fatumaca). I was always an average student.

The most beautiful memories from the Aspirants life in Fatumaca or Dili-Comoro?

I have entered the Salesian house only in 2016, Dili, Comoro – Centec (Vocation training center) and we were 33 at that time. As aspirant I had the responsibilities in the Oratory games and in the VTC, as the leader of the aspirants, elected by our batch. But already before I have graduated elementary and junior high public schools and San Pedro senior high school in the Salesian parish of Comoro.

In the Aspirantate I met Deacon Balthazar and Fr. Locatelli – senior missionaries and get know the social and evangelizing work of the Salesians in Fatumaca. In the senior high school – Aspirantate in Fatumaca I was elected a leader of the student council president for one year. I’m deeply attracted by the person of Don Bosco, his sanctity and his life given for the young.

What makes you happy in the pre-novitiate?

I have enjoyed all activities in the pre-novitiate. When I feel down, I go for a short adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and get new energy and power from Jesus. I’m also facing the difficulty of studies, with English, Italian and Portuguese.

The experience of Los Palos are both– joyful and sad. I’m happy that I can related to many different kind of people in the community and in the apostolate. But sometimes I don’t’ know how to relate to girls. When I’m involved in the pastoral activities of the Oratory in Los Palos, there are few boys and majority are girls and their female animators. I’m enriched by the community prayer of Lauds and by the Eucharist, when we eat and work together with the Salesians. Fr Rolando is my model, since he does insist to be a friend with the boys and challenged us to look for the boys to bring them to the Oratory. When we organize the games in the Oratory our youth join, but when it comes to prayers and catechism they escape. We don’t force them but just remind them.

What is your dream as future Salesians of Timor Leste?

I dream to work with the youth in need, like the orphans in Los Palos, knowing them name by name. I want to become a good Salesian Priest, although I considered to be a Brother. I have a dream to be a missionary one day in the future.

Yes, we dream to have more means for our formation in the prenovitiate: we would need some more books in English and Portuguese, some more musical instruments and computers in order to learn the basic skills we need in the youth ministry.

Related articles:

• 4231 (I) Dili - Centec,
  • 4248 (I) - Los Palos

• 20170522_ITM1.jpg

20170522_ITM2.jpg

20170522_ITM3.jpg

20170522_ITM4.jpg

20170522_ITM5.jpg

20170522_ITM6.jpg

20170522_ITM7.jpg

20170522_ITM8.jpg

20170522_ITM9.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4485(II)_'A Forgotten Saint' - Brother Jose Kusy (1909-2002)

Missionary who never returned home during 68 years - Br. Kusy By Fr. Peter Kuchar, SDB Fatumaca, Timor Leste, 1 September 2017 -- Salesian Brother Jose Kusy (1909-2002) passed away just few weeks before the independence of Timor Leste in Ma...
      Date2017.09.01 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views2662 file
      Read More
    2. 4482(I)_"Young People, Faith and Vocational Discernment"

Salesian Youth Movement Gathering in Timor-Laste By Fr. Joao Costa, SDB Lospalos, Timor-Leste -- On the 25th to 27th of August, the Salesian Youth Movement (SYM) Timor-Leste held the national forum for 2017. The national forum of SYM is a y...
      Date2017.08.29 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views942 file
      Read More
    3. 4476(I)_Priestly Ordination

4 new Salesian Priests in Timor-Leste By Fr. Joao Costa, SDB Fatumaca , Timor-Leste, 15 August 2017 -- On the occasion of the Solemnity of the Assumption of our Lady, the Salesian Vice-Province of Indonesia-Timor, particularly in Timor-Lest...
      Date2017.08.23 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views932 file
      Read More
    4. 4463_Two New Books On Salesian History

Fr Manuel Fraile's two books By SS Secretariat Dili, Timor Leste, 10 August 2017 -- Two new books have been newly published in Dili (ITM) on the local salesian history: Don Bosco em Timor Leste- Segunda Etapa, and Santo Desconhecido, O Irmã...
      Date2017.08.11 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views986 file
      Read More
    5. 4450(II)_Each Salesian vocation is a gift from God

Twelve new novices in Tigaraksa - Indonesia (ITM) By Fr. Andre Delimarta, SDB Novicemaster Tigaraksa, Indonesia, 24 July 2017 -- "Being a Salesian is a gift from God but at the same time also a task to be fulfilled" said the Delegate for In...
      Date2017.07.28 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1189 file
      Read More
    6. 4418_Receive, Believe, Teach and Practice the Gospel

Deacon ordination in Rome By Dcn Cesar da Costa, SDB Rome, Italy, 24 June 2017 -- June 24 during the 10:30 Eucharist were ordained 11 Salesian deacons from the international community of Blessed Ceferino Namuncura (Rome-Gerini) in the Basil...
      Date2017.06.25 CategoryTLS Reply1 Views1218 file
      Read More
    7. 4396(II)_Annual Gathering of Initial Formation

By Fr. Manuel Pinto, SDB Lospalos, East Timor, 30 May 2017 -- Every year there always a formation gathering of those in initial formation (Pre-Novitiate, Novitiate and Post-Novitiate) during semestral break which last two or three days. Thi...
      Date2017.06.01 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views873 file
      Read More
    8. 4391(II)_"I learned more than I gave"

Share the knowledge, experience and life (German Volunteer experience in Timor Leste) By Simon Mühlbauer German Don Bosco Volunteer Fatumaca, Timor Leste, 28 May 2017 -- The time in Timor Leste has been so extraordinary to me that I can har...
      Date2017.05.28 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1010 file
      Read More
    9. 4385(II)_How to become Salesian in Timor Leste?

Young generation of Timorese Salesians in Los Palos By Fr. Tomas de Carvalho, SDB Rector, Los Palos prenovitiate Los Palos, Timor Leste, 20 May 2017 -- More than 30 prenovices coming from two senior Aspirantates (Dili – Comoro Centec and Fa...
      Date2017.05.22 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views689 file
      Read More
    10. 4384_Celebrations in Timor Leste and at Valdocco

By Our Own Correspondent Dili, Timor Leste, 20 May 2017 -- Today the Salesian Family of Timor Leste (Republica Democratica Timor Leste, RDTL) commemorates 15 years of the Restoration of Independence in 2002. And also today in Valdocco, Turi...
      Date2017.05.20 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views887 file
      Read More
    List
    Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 26 Next
    / 26