PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

AN OBSERVER REFLECTS ON THE FIN PROVINCIAL CHAPTER (Part 1)

Philip Lazatin (FIS)

BATULAO: Wednesday, January 7th: The FIS Rectors and SDB's in-charge of communities were still concluding their final afternoon session in Talamban, Cebu when I hurriedly left with Fr. Zago's consent so I could make it to the airport just in time for late afternoon flight to Manila. I was fortunate to be able to get a seat on a fully booked flight when one individual probably cancelled his trip. Providential.

At 6:35 p.m. at the Manila domestic airport, a certain Gary (SYM staff volunteer, and former seminarian) was waiting to pick me up and bring me to Batulao where the FIN's provincial chapter 1998 was taking place. After ploughing through Manila's notorious traffic jam, we reached our retreat house at 8:30 p.m. By this time, the famous "Group Team No. 4" was seriously engaged in a meeting as they were defining the strategy to be taken and presented the following day.

By this time, the Provincial Chapter of the North was already in full swing. Earlier fifty-two official participants and two observers came in since Monday afternoon (January 5) and started with the opening Eucharist. The President announced the formal opening of the Chapter, followed by the presentation/acceptance of the Chapter procedures and regulations.

On Tuesday (January 6) morning, Fr. Capelli read State of the Province Report (SOPR) which highlighted the more important aspects of the FIN province, its progress vis-a-vis the program of the Rector Major, personal observations based on factual observations and experience with the laity and confreres, reflections of the heads of commissions (Formation, Youth Pastoral, Salesian Family, Social Communications, Finances) and the delegation of PNG, reflections and recommendations by the Regional Superior in his extraordinary visitation. Time was given for the Chapter members to reflect and go over the report, then submit their reactions and call for clarifications from the Provincial.

Four work teams were set up to study, reflect and present to the whole body their group interventions concerning the four assigned topics: The Application of GC 24, Formation, Religious Life, Priority Concerns of the Province.

It was reported that tension filled the air even before the beginning of the Chapter, some were not satisfied with the preparations and dreaded the inevitable confrontations that would occur during this meeting. In fact, letters which expressed concern circulated and hot rumors were not uncommon. The SOPR was mercilessly subjected to moral dissection and cross examination. In a very humbly frank and reconciliatory manner, the Provincial responded to the various reactions and clarifications forwarded.

By Wednesday evening some concrete transformation in the chapter members' hearts was already taking place. On the following day while a group was preparing their Assembly presentation, I remarked that the novitiate community were told not only to pray for the current FIN Chapter, but to pray earnestly and make serious sacrifices for the intentions of the members. One group member gladly told me to inform the novices that their petitions are already bearing some fruit. In fact that very afternoon Work Group No. 4 presented a very reconciliatory paper and asked all the members to forget the past, own up our past mistakes, forgive/apologize, and make a fresh start. It was evident at this point that the Holy Spirit was very present in the assembly members. The healing attitude also moved the members to send an official message of reconciliation and unity to all the various communities, celebrate this reality with a liturgical service, reflect proactively on Constitution articles 16 (Family Spirit) and 65 (Salesian style of obedience and authority), and called for greater spiritual guidance in the Province While this was happening, I was taking some brief notes and found myself writing: "Healing, healing! It's happening. They've jumped over the barrier. A breakthrough!" In spite of the very cold and legalistic parliamentary system that ruled the proceedings, a manifestation of a strong and spontaneous religious faith was clearly evident. The numerous interventions that followed appeared to be more like personal testimonies and charismatic group sharings. At this time I could really sense that the Holy Spirit has brought the Chapter to its most important breakthrough, the first rays of dawn made the rest of the Chapter look very positive and bright. While one insisted on a vote of confidence in the Provincial and his council (who were most badly hurt), the assembly agreed to do this by the renewal of profession -- thereby pointing to the fact that unity and peace among the members is restored when we pledge greater fidelity and closeness to God and Don Bosco.

The various liturgical celebrations that followed were a celebration of what was happening. Misunderstandings and biases gave way to loving acceptance, cold indifference to warm sincerity and concern, animosity to renewed friendship, hurts to love and forgiveness. From the spirit of Babel to the spirit of a new Pentecost.

The members had a common thirst for renewal of consecrated life, genuine prophetic witnessing as religious. There was very little done in terms of legislating new Provincial Directives, approval of the Formation Plan and the Province SEPP. What happened was more of a pre-capitular meeting. But crucial victory was obtained: the air was distrust was gone, there was fresh air invigorating the Salesian members, authentic family spirit and brotherly love restored. Suddenly the Makati issue was not that urgent any more. This and other items can wait for another day. Meanwhile, it was agreed to first let the spirit of trust and confidence take root in all our communities, and allow all to reflect, maturely take stock of ourselves and collectively rediscover our cherished vision. All these will pave the way for a more relevant and powerful procedure this coming February 23-28.

Let's see where the Spirit will lead us next. Let's continue to pray.

Watch out for the second episode, it's coming soon!