Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3304

Faith Adventure Leads to Samoa

SALELOLOGA (Samoa):  25 October 2013 -- For the past nine months, Catherine Lutvey has had to go without hot showers, learnt to sleep without a mattress and survived a 182km walk around a remote Pacific island. Since January, Catherine, a primary school teacher from Brisbane, has been volunteering for the Salesians on the island of Savai'i, Samoa.

How she got there

A visit to the Melbourne archdiocesan website led Catherine to the Salesians' Cagliero Project, an overseas Catholic volunteer service for youth. (In fact Cagliero describes itself as the Australian Salesian Missionary Project).  "I researched and liked the Salesians' philosophies, which is all about living in community and helping young people, which is what I wanted to do because I'm a teacher," she said.

What is it about?

The Cagliero Project sends young people to Thailand, Cambodia, Zambia, the Solomon Islands, and Samoa, Catherine's preference. Now she is one of three volunteer teachers working at Don Bosco High School in Salelologa, living with the priests, brothers and teachers from the school.

The Don Bosco school, built in 2011, is the only Catholic high school on the island and educates many of the children from the local village that Catherine, for now, calls home. "I'm living with eleven men, which is different to previously living with female housemates," Catherine said. "There are two priests, two brothers, teachers from the school, and they're a bit cheeky sometimes."

Catherine had initially applied to volunteer for Cagliero Project for six months, but in March, she changed her mind and decided to commit for one year.

At Salelologa

"When I got there, I felt like I was just settling in and getting to know people," she said. "Any community, takes a while to develop friendships and connections with people. I get a lot more out of it because the relationships with kids and the other staff have been stronger."

Catherine said one distinct cultural difference between Australians and Samoans was community life and hospitality. "As soon as we got there, they were so welcoming - they make you feel like you're part of a family," she said.

Experiencing Faith in a new context

While the lifestyle is simple, Catherine said the Samoan people had a deep and rich Catholic faith."Young people are a huge part of the Church," she said. "You see people praying all the time, and you see them really proud to share their faith. The Church is essential to their lives, and they put it first." It's a faith that unites the entire village every hour of the day. At 6.30pm, the almost 200 Samoans living in the village pause for 15 minutes to sing hymns and pray the Rosary.  Stopping for 15 minutes each night to hear a string of "spectacular" harmonies is part of daily life for the village and for Catherine. During the prayer time, the entire village suspends all work, all activities and all movement.

The vocational question comes up

For now, Catherine is happy to finish the year in Samoa, but whether she would live there permanently was another question. "I don't think (so) at this stage, but then, there is a sense of that vocation attached to it in a way," she said. "I think I've probably become a bit sceptical of life (in Australia) too. "It feels right in so many ways to be there, which is a very uplifting feeling at times when you find that sense of self. It is a place where I do belong and can really give something to the community and get something back from them as well.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
127 Pac. 3361_First Professions, Renewals, New Novices 601
126 Pac. 3344_The situation in Juba 634
» Pac. 3304_Faith Adventure Leads to Samoa 512
124 Pac. 3288_Salesians in Fiji embark on a catechetical initiative 555
123 Pac. 3283_SamBosco Youth Festival, Samoa 493
122 Pac. 3172_Being a Cambodian Journalist Fr Albeiro Rodas 514
121 Pac. 3171_Cyclone Evans devastates Samoa and Fiji 531
120 Pac. 3121_Tuck in! It's DB Day(s) in Samoa! 483
119 Pac. 3078_Ordination in Samoa 546
118 Pac. 3041_"An old friend of the famous team" - and a request 631
117 Pac. 2987_New Zealand takes close interest in Training Centre and a rather special Ultralight! 531
116 Pac. 2979_For Samoa: Friday 30 December 2011 will simply not exist! 587
115 Pac. 2867_Stepping into a brave new world - the stuff that dreams are made of 505
114 Pac. 2865_New Salesian school opens on Savai'i, in Samoa 568
113 Pac. 2769_Fr Nick writes ... 519
112 Pac. 2752_Australia-Pacific Quinquennium in Samoa 460
111 Pac. 2709_Salesian students 'all shook up' on NZ outdoor excursion 481
110 Pac. 2599_Add one more country to the list! New Zealand 260
109 Pac. 2589_Samoan Teachers reflect: Educating with the Heart of Don Bosco 428
108 Pac. 2543_Blessing of the Salesian residence, Salelologa, Savai’i, Samoa. 585
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
/ 7