?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3508

The Orientation Course for the  
145th Missionary Expedition
GENERALATE -ROME: September 5, 2014 – The austraLasia interviewed Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB, the coordinator of the Course for new missionaries who are members of the 145th Salesian missionary expedition. 

How did you get involved in the missions department? 

Before coming to Rome, I was involved with institutions mandated by the Bishops’ Conference of Papua New Guinea. Hence, I was organizing formation courses for priests, religious and catechists, also giving the introductory course to new missionaries in the country. Then while doing my doctorate in fundamental theology at the Gregorian, Fr. Vaclav Klement, the newly elected Councillor for the missions at that time, called me. He asked me to evaluate the orientation course for new missionaries. I made proposals based on my previous experience, and before I realised it, I was being asked to work in the missions department!!! … so be careful of giving too much suggestions to superiors!  

What is this Orientation Course for New Missionaries?

During the early history of the Society, aspirants were sent as missionaries and they were practically formed into the Salesian life from the novitiate onwards in their new mission. That is not the case now. It has been a practice for many years now that Salesians are sent after the post-novitiate or after ordination. Hence they need some orientation before being sent. 
The enthusiasm and faith of the departing missionary are fundamental criteria but these are not enough. It is important that they are provided the necessary tools to encounter a new people and take on the personal attitude of openness, which is respectful and trusting towards the ‘other’ in order to foster a pleasant, efficient, humble and discreet presence.  
Certainly the missionary is a gift and a blessing who brings new strength and vitality to the Province and the local Church, but without adequate preparation the newcomer could actually become a disturbance or an uncomfortable presence because he is incapable of fostering mutual dialogue with the new reality.  

Tell us about the members of the 145th missionary expedition.
 This missionary expedition is a reflection of what has been happening in the Society these past years. Europe is not the only continent sending Salesians to other continents which was the case until the recent past: Salesian missionaries come from all continents and are sent to all continents. This demands from all Salesians the change of mentality, a pastoral conversion asked by GC27: All the Provinces of the Society has the missionary responsibility for the whole Salesian Society! 
In this expedition there is only 1 European, 2 Africans 9 Asians and no one from the Americas. Of these 12 missionaries 3 are sent as missionaries to Europe, 3 to Africa, 2 to America, 2 to Oceania and 1 to Asia.  

A final word to our austraLasia readers? 
The missionary spirit of Don Bosco consist in having that capacity to look beyond the walls of the Oratory, of Piedmont, of Italy in search for young people who need to be evangelised. In East Asia there are still many who do not know Christ. Even in the Philippines and East Timor, many of our Catholics are baptised but not evangelised. Wherever we are, wherever we go, whether we work among the Christian majority or not, we need to keep alive the missionary spirit of Don Bosco which strives to stir up an interest in the young to know the Jesus Christ which leads to a personal option to follow Him! If we keep this then we are truly missionaries of the young. Then, we live the missionary heart of Don Bosco wherever we are!