Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3237

Short courses at Henderson

HENDERSON: 24 June 2013 -- Two very different short  or shorter courses (one just finishing - welding, the other just under way - video production), are being offered by the Don Bosco Tech at Henderson, Solomon Islands.

Video Short Course participants enjoy their first week
The digital environment is part of the experience of many people especially the young.  The proper understanding and use of this important aspect of life is essential, that individuals and communities may benefit.   With this in mind, Don Bosco Technical Institute, Henderson has organized a Video Short Course.

The Course, which commenced on 17th June 2013, has 18 participants with ages ranging from 16 to 60 years are a happy blend of male and female, different backgrounds and walks of life.  They have been dedicated and committed and enthusiastic to start every morning at 8.30am.  At 3pm they head home to rest and get ready for the next day.

Each day begins with a prayer and a group exercise.  There has been a substantial amount of theory, but all of it extremely useful for the practical exercises, carried out each afternoon.

At the beginning of the week the students were asked to capture examples of a variety of shot types including establishing shots, wide, medium and close ups. The concepts of the “Law of the Thirds”, was also introduced, which emphasized good positioning of objects in focus.  Eventually the students settled down onto the stunning iMacs and began editing the footage taken from the practical exercises.  After a concise yet comprehensive overview of the software, the students were straight into it.  The week covered basic approaches to framing and camera movement, an introduction to editing with iMovie as well as shoot planning with storyboards.

Course animator and freelance film editor and director, Alex Scott has been happy with the enthusiasm in their learning and helpful attitude of one another. “It has been our aim to make the course practical, and the students have begun their third video project - the last to be completed before they begin on their major projects in week two. With each project they improve their skills and their understanding of how good planning can make for good shooting, and ultimately better material to edit”, he said.

“It’s been wonderful to be part of the Media Industry, where we inform, educate and entertain the public.  As ‘digital natives’ we are important to the development of our country”, said Georgianna Lepping, PAOA FM.  “It is good to go beyond the basics of camera and also edit with the latest iMacs and learn the roles of crews in both big and small productions”, she said.

Attitude and Performance is what matters
Fabrication and Construction are trades that are needed in the Solomon Islands as it strives to build up its infrastructure and improve the lives of its people.  Welding is in demand as the country continues to develop.

A 10-week Short Welding and Fabrication Course is drawing to its close at Don Bosco Technical Institute, Henderson.  The 14 students have enthusiastically participated in the academic subjects, practical projects and extracurricular activities that have been organized at the Institution.

The course dwelt on the basics of Welding and Fabrication.  The students were a wide range of participants, young and not so young, some had the basic knowledge of the trade, while others were beginners.  After the basics were taught and demonstrated, the students got down to putting their skills into practice.  Weeks later their efforts have been rewarded as eight baking ovens each made out of two and a half empty fuel drums have been completed.  The students are now working on fabricating metal double-decker beds.

“I wish to be a tradesman.  Don Bosco has opened up possibilities for us for which I am grateful”, said Lloyd Iro.   “The course and the facilities at Don Bosco have helped me learn and love my trade.  I do hope that I will be honest and a hardworking person”, said Sokeni Claygie.  “I look forward to working in a company so that I can improve my home and family”, said Steve Maneka.

Besides the course content there have been classes in English and Values as well.  The extracurricular activities that have contributed to their all round formation at the Institution.  Course coordinator, Luke Houpere has been proud of the performance of the students.  “The students have proved themselves by completing their projects and have involved themselves in other educational activities, but what directs them to a higher level is not their skill but the development of their character.  This is seen in their attitude and their performance of the little things at school”, he said.

In addressing the students, Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb, the Rector, encouraged them to focus their minds on the task ahead and strive for perfection.  He suggested that they strive to look for ways to ensure that they can get around the brick walls in our paths.

As their course completes the students will now go out into industry to complete the required number of On-the-job hours.  They all look forward to their graduation on 11th October 2013.