Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3219

Archbishop Bo's personal appeal to his Muslim and Buddhist brothers and sisters

MELBOURNE 9 May 2013 --  On 3 May, Archbishop Bo, currently visiting Australia, made a personal appeal to people of all religions and none in Myanmar to seek peace and overcome their differences:

To my brothers and sisters of all religions and none,

It breaks my heart to see the rising hatred and religious intolerance in Myanmar, and even more so to see waves of horrific violence and destruction. I am therefore writing this personal appeal to my Buddhist and Muslim brothers and sisters, to call for voices of peace and harmony to speak out loudly, to urge the Government to take urgent action to protect vulnerable communities and stop those who incite or perpetrate hatred and violence, and to urge all communities to unite to build a nation in which people of all religions and ethnicities can live with respect for each other, in peace and dignity.

I am gravely concerned that if the violence we have seen this week in Oakkan and elsewhere, and previously in Meikhtila and in Rakhine State, continues, our fragile freedom that is just beginning to emerge could be snatched from our hands and Myanmar could descend into a vicious cycle of hatred, violence and turmoil.

The voices of hatred and intolerance are a minority. Those of us who desire peace and harmony and a society of mutual respect are the majority. Yet the voices of hatred and intolerance are vocal and violent, and the voices for peace are largely silent. It is time for the silent majority to join hands and speak up.

I appeal to people of all religions and none to look to what is best in their own teachings and philosophies - and live by the principles of “Metta” (loving kindness) and “Karuna” (compassion), “Salam” (peace), “love your neighbour as yourself” and “love your enemy”, and to basic common humanity. The silent majority needs to wake up, unite and say “no” to violence and hatred.

Pope Francis recently called on Christians to be a “community of love”, “a community of open doors”, and “a community of ‘yes’” – saying yes to the positive opportunities that await us. I extend the Pope’s appeal to all the people of Myanmar. There are many opportunities facing us in Myanmar. After decades of oppression and injustice and isolation, at last we have an opportunity to build a nation of freedom, open to the world. A nation in which we can be ourselves at last, prosper and fulfil the full potential of our Golden Land. We must be a community of ‘yes’, that seizes this opportunity to end decades of conflict and oppression. But in order to be a community of ‘yes’, with a positive view of the future for Myanmar, we need to be a people that says ‘no’ to hatred and violence.

From the depths of my heart, first and foremost as a person from the soil of Myanmar, and as a humble religious leader, I cry out two words to my brothers and sisters from all communities in my beloved country: ‘peace’ and ‘love’. These two words can triumph over the words of hatred and the acts of violence, if we unclench our fists, invest in a serious effort to promote inter-religious dialogue, peace and harmony, and work together to rebuild not only the physical structures of our country, but the hearts and minds of our people.

May God bless Myanmar and all its people.

Archbishop Charles Bo.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
258 AUL 3519_A New Deacon among our Theologians in Melbourne (THA) 1017
257 AUL 3446_Luke's Gospel 586
256 AUL 3440_Damaged Statue Rededicated and Blessed 518
255 AUL 3431_And the Brothers continue ... 50 years on 542
254 AUL 3415_Don Bosco welcomes disaster victims 666
253 AUL 3357_Celebrate with us! 954
252 AUL 3335_"New and substantive contribution to Johannine scholarship" 737
251 AUL 3293_Freshness and light in our lives 478
250 AUL 3233_Seed among the vines A spirituality of the Sunday Gospels YEAR C 495
» AUL 3219_Archbishop Bo's personal appeal to his Muslim and Buddhist brothers and sisters 485
248 AUL 3125_New College Chapel, Rupertswood 631
247 AUL 3108_Salesian Principals Aus-Pacific: new bonds of friendship and affection 500
246 AUL 3058_When Catholics dropped the Bible 613
245 AUL 3057_OZBOSCO 2012, Gawler, South Australia 431
244 AUL 3048_A multicultural Stations of the Cross 455
243 AUL 3044_Installation of Archbishop Tim Costelloe SDB, Perth, WA 517
242 AUL 3021_Archbishop-elect Tim Costelloe SDB, Perth, Western Australia 680
241 AUL 3014_A Jew and a Christian Read the Bible 358
240 AUL 2991_'Western Australia Young Salesians' conduct Sumemr Bush Camp 409
239 AUL 2976_The Lord called Fr Hans Dopheide to Himself on Christmas Day 485
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next
/ 13