Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

No Attached Image

Jesus-vine tree-small.jpg

“The vine and the branches” – The Salesian Biblical Icon of the GC27 (2014-2020) by Fr. Pascual Chavez

In the icon what draws our attention is the inter-twining of the branches which  represents the trunk of the vine. This is a reference to the image in the Gospel “I am the vine” and indicates the foundation and strength that Jesus Himself is for those called and sent out by Him. The figure of Christ constitutes a single entity with the root of the vine: His kind and pensive face and his twofold gesture of blessing make him similar to the iconography of the Pantocrator. Nevertheless in this context the Lord’s blessing takes on a double ecclesial significance: it indicates both a protective guardianship  and a kind of mandate. He who is the Master safely gathers his own together in communion but in order to send them out to proclaim the Kingdom.

Above all this strong link with the Lord is the source of abundant fruit. It is the flourishing life of the Church, and its most visible fruits are the “apostolic college.’  This group is the ‘prototype’ of all the disciples-apostles: just as the Son keeps the Word close to Himself so each individual is shown with the writings attributed to him in the New Testament. The blossoming of the Congregation and the Salesian Family is the same.       

It is also worth noticing a certain similarity in iconographic terms between the Twelve and the Master, a similarity which does not ignore the differences and the characteristic physical features distinguishing young, mature and elderly men. In fact the relationship of listening to and obeying Christ shapes the personality of the disciple without altering it: simply by taking on the ‘features’ of the Master the disciple becomes capable of writing with his life the riches of the Gospel.

Finally it should be pointed out that the fruitful relationship of the disciples with Jesus is not one closed in on itself but gives a certain balance to the human community: in the picture an harmonious expansion of the vine can be noticed; this becomes an expression of the service of love we are called upon to offer to the young.

• ?
    vaclav 2015.03.23 23:57
    1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.
    2 Every branch in me that bears no fruit he cuts away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes to make it bear even more.
    3 You are clean already, by means of the word that I have spoken to you.
    4 Remain in me, as I in you. As a branch cannot bear fruit all by itself, unless it remains part of the vine, neither can you unless you remain in me.
    5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me, with me in him, bears fruit in plenty; for cut off from me you can do nothing.
    6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a branch -- and withers; these branches are collected and thrown on the fire and are burnt.
    7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for whatever you please and you will get it.
    8 It is to the glory of my Father that you should bear much fruit and be my disciples.
    9 I have loved you just as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love.
    10 If you keep my commandments you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love.
    11 I have told you this so that my own joy may be in you and your joy be complete.

1. Christ is Alive and wants you to be alive! - Easter 2019

EAO Good Night Talk (62)                                                                    Melbourne, Australia        May 1, 2019           Christ is alive and he wants you to be alive!     Dear Friends and Salesian Family members,       R...
    Date2019.04.24 Byvaclav Views43285
    Read More
  2. Salesian Lay Volunteers - Mission Possible?

EAO Good Night Talk (40)                                                                      July 1, 2017   Salesian Lay Volunteers – Mission Possible?  EAO-GNT-2017 (40) July ENG.pdf Dear Friends and Salesian Family members!      The month...
    Date2017.06.26 Byvaclav Views22527
    Read More
  3. Pope Francis: Listen and Move! (To the religious superiors)

Take the Gospel without Tranquilizers A conversation with the general superiors Pope Francis FOR DOWNLOAD:  Take the Gospel-Francis 2016 religious.docx   “The Pope is late,” they tell me at the entrance to the Vatican’s Paul VI Audience Hall...
    Date2017.02.14 Byvaclav Views18472
    Read More
  4. Monthly Talk of Fr. Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc SDB, EAO Regional

EAO Good Night Talk (77) Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam 04 August 2020 Dear confreres and members of Salesian Family and friends, 1- Even though there is some hope for the coming vaccine to treat the Covid virus, yet, in all countries, the Pan...
    Date2020.08.05 Byceteratolle Views3574
    Read More
  5. How do you imitate Salesian Saints?

EAO GOOD NIGHT TALK (60)   Cebu, Philippines        April 1, 2019   How do you imitate Salesian saints? The happiest day of my life: first communion of Dominic Savio     Dear Friends and Salesian Family members,      During my retreat (first...
    Date2019.03.22 Byvaclav Views3399
    Read More
  6. Are you happy to waste your time in listening?

EAO-GNT-2018 (49) April.pdf   >>>> for download   EAO Good Night Talk (48)                                                              Dili, Timor Leste April 1, 2018     Are you happy to waste your time in listening?     Dear Friends and ...
    Date2018.03.24 Byvaclav Views2465
    Read More
  7. Don Bosco Green Alliance - Take Action now!

EAO Good Night Talk (68) Cebu, Philippines 1 November 2019 Don Bosco Green Alliance – take action now! Dear Friends and Salesian Family members, Receive my heartfelt greetings from Cebu, starting the last full month of 2019 animation visits...
    Date2019.10.25 Byvaclav Views2324
    Read More
  8. No Image

Francis to the General Superiors 2016 November

Conversazione del Papa Francesco con i Superiori Generali Sui casi di abusi sessuali: «È una malattia; dobbiamo esserne convinti per risolvere il problema» Papa Francesco: «Sì, c’è corruzione in Vaticano, ma non perdo la serenità» Il Pontefi...
    Date2017.02.09 Byvaclav Views2062
    Read More
  9. Young People around the world need God's Cooperators!

Young people around the world need  God's Cooperators!                                                                      Seoul, November 1, 2018 Dear Friends and Salesian Family members,        A few days ago we followed the Fifth World C...
    Date2018.10.30 Byvaclav Views2016
    Read More
  10. Missionary Youth possible also today

Missionary Youth (Gioventú missionaria) possible also today?   Dear Friends and Salesian Family members,      A special greeting from Sam Phran, the ‘Vatican’ of Thailand, near Bangkok. Just yesterday a further 25 SDB and 11 FMA new missiona...
    Date2018.09.29 Byvaclav Views2012
    Read More
  11. How do you whisper the Gospel?

EAO Good Night Talk (48)                                                                     Indonesia – Sumba Island March 1, 2018   How do you whisper the Gospel?   Dear Friends and Salesian Family members,       Receive my heartfelt greet...
    Date2018.02.25 Byvaclav Views2006
    Read More
  12. #For you too: Serve the Lord in holy Joy!

EAO Good Night Talk (58)                                                                                                                                                                                                                         ...
    Date2018.12.30 Byvaclav Views1971
    Read More
  13. Listen to Jesus?

EAO Good Night Talk (51)                                                                                                                            Hong Kong - China, June 1, 2018       Do you read the Gospel every day? Just two minutes! ...
    Date2018.05.29 Byvaclav Views1932
    Read More
  14. Would you like to tell your story?

EAO Good Night Talk (70)                            Sacro Cuore, Rome            1 January 2020                                                                                                              Would you like to tell your story?  ...
    Date2019.12.28 Byvaclav Views1928
    Read More
  15. Good Shepherd Cross

EAO-GNT-2015 (21) December ENG+.pdf  (FOR DOWNLOAD) With the heart of Good Shepherd enter the Year of Mercy!    Dear friends and confreres!   At many airports and during daily meditation time in the month of November I did reflect about some...
    Date2015.11.26 Byvaclav Views1872
    Read More
  16. Look at Don Bosco - Cimatti 50 - Missions

EAO Good Night Talk (19)                                                                   October 1, 2015   ‘Look at Don Bosco!’ – Mons. Cimatti continues to inspire (1965-2015)   Dear friends and confreres!       Some countries and provinc...
    Date2015.09.30 Byvaclav Views1825
    Read More
  17. Accompaniment - one of the Salesian key words!

EAO Good Night Talk (41)                                                                        August 1, 2017   Accompaniment - one of Salesian key words   Dear Friends and Salesian Family members!           I’m more and more deeply convin...
    Date2017.07.28 Byvaclav Views1820
    Read More
  18. Sanctity depends on the fulfilment of one’s duties in joy

ALA_5499 EAO Good Night Talk (80) Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam 01 November 2020 Dear Superiors, confreres, members of the Salesian Family and friends, We are going to the close of October, the month dedicated to pray for the missions of the ...
    Date2020.11.01 Byceteratolle Views1757
    Read More
  19. #For You Too! - Movement of Salesian Holiness!

EAO Good Night Talk (52)                                                                                                                                                                                          Sacro Cuore, Rome July 1, 2018 ...
    Date2018.06.28 Byvaclav Views1656
    Read More
  20. Listen to the Salesian Brothers

EAO Good Night Talk (53)                                                                                                                                                       Jakarta, Indonesia                                                ...
    Date2018.07.29 Byvaclav Views1618
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
/ 5