?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20170502_AUL.jpg

Salesian for the poor and Mission partners

By Bro. David O'Brien, SDB

Melbourne, Australia, 30 April 2017 -- I believe Fr. John Murphy (Senior) was born in the Melbourne suburb of Middle Park on May 15 1924. He was finally professed on 31 January 1942 and ordained a priest on 2 July 1950. He went to the Salesian garden last Sunday, April 30 in Warnambool, Victoria State (4 hours drive from Melbourne) as the most senior member of Australia - Pacific province at the age of 93.

He was among the first Australian Salesian Novices and then also involved in the formation of young Salesians as their Master of Novices (1961 - 1966). His love for Don Bosco and the Salesian Charism, Salesian Family was known by many.

He was among other things instrumental in founding Lysterfield and setting it up as the Novitiate, Post-novitiate and teacher training facility. In the early 70s he moved to Shamrock House in Crossley (Warrnambool in South Western Victoria). This was while he was delegate to the Association of the Salesian Cooperators.

Shamrock House became a base for Cooperators, young Cooperators 12 Star & Dominic Savio clubs (correspondence and formation for youngsters) Summer & winter Camps operated from here as well and a small youth centre with trampolines a pool and table tennis and 8 ball tables. Yes, his passion for the poor and Salesian Cooperators were his trademarks.

I met Fr John in 1976 when I left the railways and joined the community which Fr John had started I was so inspired with the work there from manual type work to office work I spent about 4 years with him. In 1981 I was fortunate to go to Europe pilgrimage, including the Salesian holy places. Then I spent two months working at Savio House in Bollington, UK and with the Salesian Retreat team in Ireland. When I returned I wanted to join the Salesians and Fr John suggested I wait another 12 months and I obeyed and joined in 1983.

Since then Fr John has been a mentor for me even though we may not have written to each other or regularly spoke on the phone I would try and call into to see him if I was ever around visiting my family (from South West Victoria). Fr John was well known and well respected by the people of Warrnambool for his work with poor people who were down and out he housed and was active in counselling for many in the latter years at Shamrock house which became an accommodation place for the less fortunate in the community.

He also had many friends and acquaintances Australia wide through the 12 star & Dominic Savio clubs and Salesian Cooperators. in around 2009 he retired from Shamrock House and eventually he was put into care at Mercy place in Warrnambool. I visited him many times when he was there he remained in very good mental condition but his body was giving up.

Fr John was in the words of many a holy and humble SALESIAN. We will miss him.

May God call him to His Home in Heaven!

Good Bye Fr John!

20170502_AUL1.jpg

20170502_AUL2.jpg

1. Fr Mika Leilua (Samoa-Pacific delegation)

Fr Mika Leilua (1963-2021)   LIFE LIVED WELL as TRUE SALESIAN OF DON BOSCO   Fr Mika Leilua was born in the village of Vaiusu in Samoa on 15 May 1963 to devout Catholic parents, Leo Leilua and Lesina Ulugia in a family of nine children. Havi...
    Date2022.07.28 CategoryAUL Views249
    Read More
  2. Fr Gerrit Kraan (1929-2022)

Fr Gerrit Kraan (1929-2022)  
    Date2022.09.15 CategoryAUL Views222
    Read More
  3. 5345(II)_RIP: Brother Noel Hannabery SDB, AUL

ALA_5345 By Fr Will Matthews, Provincial AUL Province Centre, Ascot Vale, Melbourne, 24 March 2020 -- An Australian Salesian Brother, Noel Hannabery, entered into Eternal Life on Monday 23rd March 2020, at Mercy Place in Parkville, Victoria...
    Date2020.03.24 CategoryAUL Views522
    Read More
  4. 4855(II)_“As a young man I gave my heart to India. I do not intend on taking it back.”

Fr Brian Kevin Diamond, great missionary for India passed away By Fr Frank Freeman, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 18 September 2018 -- Thus, spoke Fr Brian Kevin Diamond, who passed to his eternal reward on Sunday 1st September at Don Bosco Ala...
    Date2018.09.19 CategoryAUL Views730
    Read More
  5. 4518(IV)_Brother Cahill Gleisner SDB returned to the Lord

By Fr. William Matthews, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 8 October 2017 -- The second oldest Salesian Brother of the Australian-Pacific Province of Mary Help of Christians, Br Cahill Gleisner SDB, returned to the Lord after suffering a short but ...
    Date2017.10.10 CategoryAUL Views1040
    Read More
  6. 4489(II)_Fr Jeremiah Breen SDB passed away in Melbourne

86 years of age, 63 for Salesian and 54 for priest By Fr Will Matthews, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 1 September 2017 -- A much loved priest, hardworking individual and Salesian pastor from the province of Mary Help of Christians, Australia-Pa...
    Date2017.09.06 CategoryAUL Views577
    Read More
  7. 4485(III)_Fr Joe Pulis SDB, passed away

A gentle Salesian with a lovely smile By Fr. Will Matthews, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 28 August 2017 -- A much-loved priest, a highly respected Salesian and a gentleman, Fr Joe Pulis SDB, passed away peacefully at Cabrini hospital in Melbou...
    Date2017.09.01 CategoryAUL Views657
    Read More
  8. 4368(I)_Fr. John Murhpy Senior, SDB passed away

Salesian for the poor and Mission partners By Bro. David O'Brien, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 30 April 2017 -- I believe Fr. John Murphy (Senior) was born in the Melbourne suburb of Middle Park on May 15 1924. He was finally professed on 31 J...
    Date2017.05.09 CategoryAUL Views597
    Read More
Board Pagination Prev 1 Next
/ 1