?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2507 Comment 1

20151203_KOR.jpg

By Fr. Paolo Na Myong-ok, SDB

Seoul, Korea, December 3, 2015 - ‘The Church in North Korea is in my heart’ – this is a new initiative launched by the Seoul Archidiocese that involves all parishes in praying during the whole YEAR of MERCY for the Catholic Faithful in North Korea.

In 2015 we remembered already 70 years of division of Korea into two parts. During the Year of Mercy the Catholic in the South would like to remember the Catholics in the North who are still living in very difficult times. This prayer campaign initiative was launched during the November 24 Eucharist in the Cathedral of Myeongdong. Seoul Cardinal Archbishop Andrew Yeom Soo-jung during his homily underlined: ‘As the archbishop of Seoul and apostolic administrator of Pyeongyang, I never forgot the Catholic Church in the North with all brothers and sisters in faith in my prayers. The Korean peninsula is among those regions in the world that most need the Mercy of God. All Catholics are invited to offer daily the ‘Prayer for Peace and Reconciliation’.

According the official statistics, at the end of the Pacific War and liberation from Japanese occupation, there were 54 parishes and about 5200 Catholics in North Korea. Before, during and after the Korean War (1950-1953) the Catholic in the North suffered very strong persecution and according the present estimates there are only very few Catholic faithful.

Since last February 2011 Fr. Paul Na Myong Ok, SDB was at the service of Catholic Bishops Conference of Korea in the Committee for National Reconciliation – ministering to the North Korean refugees in the Seoul. From this year Fr. Paul Na became a Coordinator of the newly erected Committee for National Reconciliation and Peace of the Korean Male Religious Superiors Association (cf. hwahai.cbck.or.kr)

Among his main duties are the weekly Sunday visits to the National Agency facility. All newly arrived North Korean refugees (via Thailand, Laos or China) spend in this government investigation center three months after their arrival to the South. In the government designed program there is also a space for introducing the main religions. Sunday Catholic programs are run together with two religious sisters, brothers and lay volunteers.

After three months the North Korean refugees are transferred to one of the two ‘Hanawon’ government facilities for another 3 months program that facilitates their smooth entering into the South Korean social life – through different education programs and professional skills courses. All refugees can also choose between Buddhist, Protestant or Catholic religious programs – prayer services and group or personal dialogue. Fr. Paul is also involved in the necessary assistance during their first months of the refugees independent life. They receive from the government own apartment, but are facing the challenges of cultural shock. Also many religious congregations open group home facilities for the young people from North Korea who arrived without their parents (e.g Dream-house of the FMA sisters in Seoul).

Fr. Paul shares his inner conviction:

“We don’t’ know, when the time of Korean reconciliation and unification will come, but these North refugees with their personal experience on both sides of the actual boarder are very important link and catalyst in mutual understanding of the same Korean people. If they settle well with a positive life experience they might exercise a wonderful bridge role between the two parts of the divided nation in the future.”

"Although there is no fast end of the division ahead of us, as South Korean religious we try to contribute our best to this ministry. We would appreciate also some preparation and support from the Superiors side.”

"At the level of the EAO region I dream about possible help to those North Korean refugees in Mongolia, Thailand or other South Asia countries. Before their refugee statues recognition they spend long time in detention centers in those countries. Possible connection with local Salesian family religious congregations might be a good help in this mission."

For past 20 years, since March 7, 1995 the Archdiocese of Seoul has been celebrating a Holy Mass 'for peace and reconciliation on Korean Peninsula in division' every Tuesday to pray for peace on the Korean Peninsula. Last January 6, 2015 the 1000th 'Mass was held in Seoul Cathedral of Myongdong.

North Korean brothers and sisters are in my heart. Please, join us in our prayers for them during the Year of Mercy!

20151203_KOR1.jpg

20151203_KOR2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • vaclav 2015.12.05 22:18
    ASIA/COREA DEL NORD - Una delegazione ecclesiale sudcoreana con cinque vescovi visita la Corea del Nord

Pyongyang (Agenzia Fides) – Si è conclusa venerdì 4 dicembre la visita realizzata in Corea del Nord da una delegazione della Chiesa della Corea del Sud composta da 17 persone, iniziata lo scorso primo dicembre. I partecipanti, sia all'andata che al ritorno, hanno fatto scalo nella Repubblica Popolare cinese. La delegazione, che includeva 4 vescovi alla guida di diocesi coreane – compreso l'arcivescovo Hyginus Kim Hee-joong, presidente della Conferenza episcopale sudcoreana - e l'Abate Simon Peter Ri Hyeong-u, dell'Abbazia benedettina di Waegan, insieme a sacerdoti e rappresentanti dei Comitati ecclesiali per la riconciliazione del popolo coreano - era stata ufficialmente invitata dall'Associazione cattolica di Corea, organismo che fa capo al regime nord-coreano. Prima della partenza, mons. Kim Hee-joong, Arcivescovo di Gwangju, aveva espresso davanti ai media coreani l'auspicio “che per l'avvenire sempre più preti sudcoreani potranno recarsi in Corea del Nord a celebra rvi la messa”. 
    Durante la visita, i vescovi e i sacerdoti della delegazione hanno cercato di raccogliere notizie sulla reale consistenza delle comunità cattoliche che sarebbero ancora presenti in Nordcorea, dopo decenni trascorsi senza ministri ordinati per celebrar messa e confessare. 
    Nei colloqui si è parlato anche della possibile ricostruzione di una chiesa a Pyeongyang. I membri della delegazione hanno anche avuto un incontro di dialogo con Kim Yong Dae, vicepresidente della Suprema Assemblea del popolo della Corea del Nord, sulle modalità di miglioramento delle relazioni tra due Coree.
    In passato, altri vescovi sudcoreani avevano visitato singolarmente la Corea del Nord, ma dai tempi della divisione è la prima volta che una delegazione ecclesiale sudcoreana così numerosa e di alto profilo visita la parte settentrionale della Penisola.
    La trasferta ufficiale oltre frontiera della delegazione ecclesiale sudcoreana assume valore soprattutto alla luce del ruolo sempre più intenso che la Chiesa sudcoreana intende giocare sul terreno della riconciliazione nazionale e della possibile riunificazione delle due Coree. “Occorre consolidare questa piattaforma di riconciliazione intensificando scambi e collaborazioni. Perchè se per le generazioni che hanno sofferto la separazione e la guerra civile vanno curate le ferite rimaste aperte, tra i giovani c'è il rischio di una crescente indifferenza davanti al desiderio di riunire il popolo coreano” spiega all'Agenzia Fides padre Timothy Lee Eun-hyung, segretario del Comitato dei vescovi per la riconciliazione del popolo coreano e cappellano della «chiesa del pentimento e della redenzione», inaugurata nel 2013 a pochi chilometri dal confine, dove si svolgono ogni settimana preghiere e liturgie per invocare il dono della riunificazione. “Occorre mettere da parte atteggiament i aggressivi, e camminare sulla via dell'inclusione, del perdono e della riconciliazione, come ci ha indicato anche Papa Francesco, quando è venuto in Corea” aggiunge padre Timothy. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 5/12/2015).

1. 3829(II)_DBYC Fellowship Day 2015 – “Palig-Samahan”

By Prenovice John Paolo Romero Canlubang, Calamba City, the Philippines, December 6, 2015 - “Once a Bosconian, always a champion!” was the dominant cry of all the participants who attended the Inter-Don Bosco Youth Center (DBYC) Fellowship ...
    Date2015.12.07 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1518 file
    Read More
  2. 3829(I)_“Being the faithful disciples of Jesus and of Don Bosco”

By Fr. Peter Van Chinh SDB HCM city, Vietnam, December 5, 2015 - At 10 AM last Satuday, the mass in honour of the Blessed Rinaldi was celebrated solemnly at the hall of the Rinaldi formation house in Thu Duc district, HCM city. To the annua...
    Date2015.12.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1851 file
    Read More
  3. 3828_The Mother of Fr. Francesco Cereda passed away

By Fr. Vaclav Klement, SDB Dear Confreres This morning (Dec 7) we received the sad news about the passing away of Felicita Cattaneo, the mother of Fr. Francesco Cereda (fcereda@sdb.org), the Vicar of the Rector Major. She was 93 years old. ...
    Date2015.12.07 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1360 file
    Read More
  4. 3827_New energies recharged - first spiritual retreat 2015

By Bro. Amilcar Da Silva, SDB Fuiloro, Tomor Leste, December 5, 2015 - From 30 November until 5 December, the 30 Salesian Brothers and Priests of the ITM Viceprovince, before the end of the school year, dedicated one full week to their annu...
    Date2015.12.06 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1376 file
    Read More
  5. 3826(II)_Forever a Gift and a Grace

Thanksgiving for the 60 years of presence of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians in the Philippines! By FMA@60 Celebration Manila, Philippines, Decembre 2, 2015 - About 15,000 FMA, students, parents, Lay mission partners, MHC Past Pupi...
    Date2015.12.05 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views1514 file
    Read More
  6. 3826(I)_The Himawari Movement

Let the flower of joy blossom! By Mr. Mitsuhiro Tateishi The Salesian Family in Japan set up the DB200 Commission in 2013 which became the nucleus in the preparation work to celebrate Don Bosco’s bicentenary with a united heart. The sunflow...
    Date2015.12.05 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1372 file
    Read More
  7. 3825_Cyberprotection for Children

By Fr. Randy Figuracion, SDB Cebu City, Philippines, December 2, 2015A - A two-day international conference “Ako Para sa Bata” (I am for the child) was organized at the Marco Polo Hotel, Cebu City from December 1-2, 2015. More than 900 stak...
    Date2015.12.04 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views17602 file
    Read More
  8. 3824(IV)_Feastday of St Francis Xavier - Patron of the Missions

By Fr. Vaclav Klement, SDB Rome-Torino, Italy, December 3, 2015 - As every year the Salesian Mission Day animation materials are distributed in all 90 provinces of our Congregation, open to all members of Salesian Family. The usual poster, ...
    Date2015.12.03 CategoryWorld Reply2 Views37466 file
    Read More
  9. 3824(III)_"The Church in North Korea is in my heart"

By Fr. Paolo Na Myong-ok, SDB Seoul, Korea, December 3, 2015 - ‘The Church in North Korea is in my heart’ – this is a new initiative launched by the Seoul Archidiocese that involves all parishes in praying during the whole YEAR of MERCY for...
    Date2015.12.03 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views2507 file
    Read More
  10. 3824(II)_For the first time in the Genghis Khan mission land

Students of Don Bosco Technical school in Ulaanbaatar By Fr. Jaroslav Vracovský, SDB Prague, Czech Republic, December 3, 2015 - The Lord gave me the grace to visit Mongolia for some days even before I will stay there for longer time. Two we...
    Date2015.12.03 CategoryMong. Reply1 Views2442 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 ... 536 Next
/ 536