?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20181121_WOR.jpg

By Uruguay SDB SC team

Montevideo, Uruguay, 18 November 2018 -- Cardinal Daniel Sturla, SDB, Archbishop of Montevideo, presided over the diaconal ordination of Salesians Agustinus Jou Poma, originally from Indonesia Viceprovince (INA), and Cristian Benítez, from Paraguay, both belonging to the Salesian Province of Paraguay (PAR). Both deacons are studying theology in the Uruguay capital of Montevideo.

Agustinus Jou Poma was born on the predominantly Catholic island of Flores in the eastern part of Indonesia, as the last of six siblings, all of them already married and his parents retired. "I feel very happy to receive the call of God as a consecrated person. As a Salesian, being with young people gives me more energy!" - this is Jou's honest confession. He has already spent 12 years of Salesian initial formation between Indonesia, Paraguay and Uruguay.

Rev. Jou arrived in Paraguay in October 2012, sent by the Rector Major as a member of the 142nd missionary expedition. During his six years of missionary life he studied Spanish and spent his practical training in Ypacarai and in Asunción (Paraguay). After his perpetual profession in 2015 in Asuncion he began his theological studies in Uruguay and during the weekends is involved in pastoral ministry at the Oratory of Saint Dominic Savio-Abayubá, one of the parishes in Colón city (Uruguay).

"During my studies in Uruguay, I had many marvellous experiences. I can adapt to a different culture and get to know another way of being Church in this country. After my deaconate ordination I would like to commit myself completely to the service of the Kingdom of God and to the Church. God is calling me to become like Servant-Jesus!"

As the mottto of his deaconate ordination our new deacon has chosen: "Reina Yahvé! Exulte la tierra, se alegren las islas innumerables!” (The Lord is king! Earth, be glad! Rejoice, you islands of the seas! Psalm 97,1). For Jou it is the innermost expression of his vocational journey and personal experience of God.

Rev. Jou Poma is one of the six Indonesian Salesian missionaries ad gentes now working in Mongolia, Paraguay, Ecuador, Belgium and Brazil.

20181121_WOR1.jpg

20181121_WOR2.jpg

20181121_WOR3.jpg