Fr Jesus Molero passed away
By Fr Joseph NA, SDB
Seoul, Korea, 18 October 2018 --The most senior member of the Korean Salesian Province (KOR) passed away on 18 October October 18. He was Spanish missionary, Fr Jesús Molero, having celebrated his 90th Birthday and 57 years of missionary life in East Asia. Fr Molero arrived in Japan in 1951 and after his ordination was sent as a member of the first Salesian community in Korea (Gwangju) in 1956.
During his long missionary life he covered all possible roles of leadership and animation in many local communities, school, parish, boarding house, youth retreat centre, missionary animation and pastoral care of mission benefactors in Seoul. Hundreds of Alumni, both from Gwangju and from Seoul remember him for his straighforward, always joyful and energetic way of communication. Thanks to his out-reaching missionary character he was also active for many years as a teacher of Spanish in two of Seoul's universities. Many Salesians and Salesian Family members have lost their 'Cafasso' or spiritual guide and confessor.
Fr Molero suffered various organ failures and spent the last few years in Daerimdong and provincial house community, cared for with love by the confreres. His final weeks in hospital were accompanied by the Provincial House community.
The funeral Eucharist is scheduled for October 21 at 9 AM on the 7th floor of Seoul Provincial house chapel. This coming Sunday is indeed World Mission Sunday with an already scheduled provincial event, Salesian Mission Day, in the afternoon. We pray that the life-long witness of Fr Molero's missionary life will wake up many young Salesians to follow the enthusiastic way of the gospel proclamation also in our times!
Bishop Luc Van Looy, SDB (former Delegate of the Salesians in Korea, until 1984) sent his personal memento:
"Father Jesus Molero: He was the first among the Spanish priests - missionaries in Korea and he was proud of this too. Ever joyful, he did not lose his temper. I remember the situation in Kwangju in 1965, where he was at that time prefect of studies. He suffered but did not really show it to people around. As a rector, and he was rector for many years, he had a keen interest in de young as well as in the confreres. God will give him a good rest, and take him into His resurrection! United in Prayer."
Fr Jesus Molero, SDB: a brief chronology
- 1928. September 30 born in Spain (near Toledo)
- 1946. August 16 SDB first profession (Spain, Mohernando)
- 1952. April 5 SDB arrival to Japan, first missionary destination
- 955 Dec 21 SDB priestly ordination (Tokyo, Japan)
- 1956 Aug 13 Korea, Seoul - arrival
- 1964 May Korea, Seoul - Dorimdong parish priest
- 1971-1972 Rome, UPS, Licentiate in spiritual theology
- 1973 Korea, Gwangju, rector
- 1978 Korea, Seoul, Shinweoldong, rector
- 1983 Korea, Seoul, Daerimdong, rector
- 1984 Korea, Seoul, Don Bosco Youth Center, rector
- 1992 Korea, Seoul, Daerimdong, rector
- 1994 Korea, Daejon, Director of retreat center
- 1998 Korea, Seoul, Sonbukdeong, rector
- 2000 Korea, Seoul, Missionary animation delegate
- 2008-2017 Korea, Seoul, Daerimdong, confessor
- 2017- 2018.10.18 Korea, Seoul, Provincial house