Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1095 Comment 0

20181018_FIS.jpg

Interview with Fr. Joriz Calsa, Youth Ministry Delegate FIS

By Our Own Correspondent

Southern Philippines, 17 October 2018 -- This is the third interview with an EAO Provincial Youth Ministry Delegate, this time with Fr Joriz from the Southern Philippines-Pakistan Province (FIS). Like many of his colleagues, Fr Calsa graduated from the Youth Ministry Department at the Salesian Pontifical University in Rome, Italy.

How long have you been appointed as YM delegate?

I am in my second term and 4th year as delegate for youth ministry in FIS. I have a team which we call Commission on Youth Ministry (CYM) with eight sectors: Schools, College, Parishes, CICL (Children in Conflict with Law, Youth at Risk), SYM, Youth Centers, TVET (Vocation Training Centers), and Vocations. Each sector is animated by a Salesian.

The ‘Salesian Youth Ministry Framework’ is a fundamental document for each Salesian. How is the study of the ‘Framework’ going?

The SYM Frame of Reference (FoR) as a reference book for Youth Ministry is treated not as a book but exactly as a point of reference especially whenever we develop certain talks or matters of interest. For example, if we are doubtful about the nature and identity of a Salesian school, we go to the FoR. I’m aware that also our Soc. Communication delegate uses it as a reference manual, too.

How do you foster more effective formation of the SDBs and lay people in Youth Ministry?

The YM delegate in our province is tasked to go around the different houses and settings and help in the formulation of their SEPP and development plan. In this active animation, I meet the LMPs working in close collaboration with the SDB community.

Aside from this, the YM delegate, who took up formal studies in ‘Youth Ministry’ (Pastorale Giovanile) at the UPS - Rome, gives input and formation as per requests, to the different member of the Salesian Family as well. Personally, I also teach pastoral subjects in the Don Bosco Formation Center Aspirantate that will be of practical use for the seminarians or future Salesians.

What kind of processes do you accompany in your province as Youth Ministry delegate?

As the YM delegate, I am in open dialogue with the other commissions of the province. I personally lobbied the idea of a “Synergy Meeting”, that is, every year there must be two meetings of all the commissions of the province with the provincial facilitating the meeting with the objective of interfacing and collaboration.

Secondly, as a member of the provincial council, I bring the concerns of the sectors and settings for us to reflect on and make decisions easier for the provincial.

Thirdly, as a youth ministry delegate working in an office, I do not cut off my presence with the youth.

What is the main contribution of the YM commission in your province?

FIS is in close collaboration with FIN when it comes to youth ministry. At the moment we realize that we have some advantage if we bring our action together. An example of these are that we have ONE TVET Philippines, ONE SYM Philippines (which includes the FMA province of the Philippines-PNG), and the ongoing process of integrating all our Don Bosco Educational Centers in the whole country.

Another direct influence of the YM Team is the active animation of our eight different sectors, thus assisting the provincial and his council in making decisions. We also assist in the meetings and legal discussions between the Salesian house and its would be partner institution or industry.

The YM delegate is knowledgeable in youth animation and thus offers his services through the Youth Ministry School, giving seminar workshops to the members, leaders, and animators of the Salesian Youth Movement as well as the neighboring parishes in the dioceses.

The office of Youth Ministry - FIS is invited from time to time to give talks to the religious communities and Commission on Youth of the local Churches.

The 2018 Synod is about Young people. How do you maximize this opportunity?

The Synod on Youth has given us a paradigm shift in dealing with the youth especially aligning with what the Mother Church teaches, that of listening attentively to the youth. We have started implementing this practice especially early this year when we had our revision of the SYM vision, mission and identity after 30 years of serving the youth in the Philippines. We realized that youth have a lot to say and contribute.

Secondly, the timing of the Synod is but a preparation for the incoming Provincial Chapter next March 2019. We plan to revitalize our influence on youth and youth ministry first by reflecting on what the GC28 posed as questions for reflection, particularly asking the young people and the LMP their expectations. Hopefully through PC 2019, the whole province will come up with both short and long-term planning for the accompaniment of youth and ministry, especially strengthening youth and family ministry.

What would you like to learn from the sharing among different EAO provinces in the annual meeting?

In all the EAO meetings, so far the best parts are the sharing of each delegate. I personally look forward to the goodnight and the group sharing. But to be very objective I want to have a follow-up discussion on Youth Ministry and Family Ministry and also, I want to have a copy and interpretation of the Auxilium and UPS survey done prior to the meeting last September 20-24, 2018. The facts and survey results for EAO were not presented.

I wish Fr Fabio good health and fast recovery for his left eye. I admire him so much, since his passion and energy have not diminished even a single percent. God bless him.

20181018_FIS1.jpg

20181018_FIS2.jpg

20181018_FIS3.jpg

20181018_FIS4.jpg

20181018_FIS5.jpg

20181018_FIS6.jpg

20181018_FIS7.jpg

20181018_FIS8.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4887(IV)_Together with young people bring the Gospel to all!

Pope Francis' message for World Mission Sunday 2018 By Our Own Correspondent Vatican City, 20 October 2018 -- "Together with young people, let us bring the Gospel to all" - a very Salesian theme for this World Mission Sunday (20 October) is...
    Date2018.10.20 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1117 file
    Read More
  2. 4887(III)_Shining model of first Spanish missionary in Korea

Fr Jesus Molero passed away By Fr Joseph NA, SDB Secretary KOR Seoul, Korea, 18 October 2018 --The most senior member of the Korean Salesian Province (KOR) passed away on 18 October October 18. He was Spanish missionary, Fr Jesús Molero, ha...
    Date2018.10.20 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1115 file
    Read More
  3. 4887(II)_World Mission Sunday from the bush in Araimiri, PNG

Araimiri Parish of Mary Help of Christians By Fr Joseph Thanh, SDB Araimiri, PNG, 20 October 2018 -- We often we see a picture of Don Bosco in our Salesian schools, and it immediately reminds us that he is a father, teacher and friend of th...
    Date2018.10.20 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1359 file
    Read More
  4. 4887(I)_“Every stitch an act of love for God.”

Salesian Sisters in Boroko By Sr Ria P. Versario, FMA Boroko, PNG, 18 October 2018 -- Sr Ria P. Versario, FMA arrived in Papua New Guinea on 4th August, 2016. She spent four months teaching Religious Education to the 2nd and 4th Year studen...
    Date2018.10.20 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1817 file
    Read More
  5. 4886(II)_Youth, Faith and Vocation Discernment: Reflection of Bishop Virglio Da Silva

By Bishop Virgilio da Silva, SDB Vatican City, 19 October 2018 -- 'During these days of the Synod in the Vatican, we have been blessed for this beautiful experience of journeying together as a Church to “listen” to the reality of the young ...
    Date2018.10.19 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views2376 file
    Read More
  6. 4886(I)_On media skills and 350 years of Siam Evangelization

SIHM Congregation annual seminar on Media and Evangelization By Sr. Maliwan, SIHM Superior General SIHM Ratchaburi, Thailand, 18 October 2018 -- Our 2018 annual seminar for all 92 SIHM sisters of Thailand - Cambodia was held on 15-17 Octobe...
    Date2018.10.19 CategoryTHA Reply1 Views735 file
    Read More
  7. 4885(IV)_Rector of Don Bosco Darkhan Receives Educators’ Award

Congratulations Fr Simon Lee! By Fr Antony Kishore, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 17 October, 2018 -- On the occasion of the 57th anniversary of the foundation of Darkhan city on October 17, 2018, Mr Nasanbat the governor of Darkhan city, sent his...
    Date2018.10.18 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1002 file
    Read More
  8. 4885(I)_Pinagpala: Marian Rally and Marian Exhibit 2018

DBTI Makati By Andrew Chanco Makati City, the Philippines, 13 October 2018 -- October is a special month dedicated to the Blessed Mother. Aside from the usual month long recitation of the holy rosary and Block rosary, the Pastoral Ministry ...
    Date2018.10.18 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views715 file
    Read More
  9. 4885(III)_Here am I among you as one who serves

Interview with Fr. Joriz Calsa, Youth Ministry Delegate FIS By Our Own Correspondent Southern Philippines, 17 October 2018 -- This is the third interview with an EAO Provincial Youth Ministry Delegate, this time with Fr Joriz from the South...
    Date2018.10.18 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1095 file
    Read More
  10. 4885(II)_Welcome to first year students

Don Bosco Phnom Penh By Fr Charles Michael Arun, SDB Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 15 October 2018 -- As is the case every year in the middle of October, the new school year begins in Cambodia, and such then is the case for the 14 Don Bosco Schools...
    Date2018.10.18 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views1154 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 ... 533 Next
/ 533