?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20180920_PGS.jpg

By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Sabama, PNG, 16 September 2018 -- It was because of refugee, Raja Nanda Kanna, that, I was able to meet a Salesian Past pupil.

The 43rd Independence Day of Papua New Guinea was celebrated on the 16th September, 2018. After the Eucharistic celebration at Sabama, it was wonderful to meet Raja Nanda Kanna. He has been a refugee on Manus Island for the past 5 years and in Port Moresby for the past three months.

Earlier he spent 2 years in Indonesia and 2 years in Malaysia. While on Manus Island, he was baptised by Fr Clement Taulan. In Port Moresby he accompanied me a few times as I went to celebrate mass at Pari. The ways of the Lord are amazing. The presence of Raja brought me in contact with Raymond Pythias, past pupil of Don Bosco Technical School, (1991-94) now manager of Lodge 10. Raymond welcomed me, gave me a delicious meal and always made time to share the experiences of his school days and connect it to his interaction with people, especially the refugees. Raymond has been a wonderful mentor to the many refugees at Lodge 10.

Raja, has been a very grateful person. He was keen to say a big thank you to the community at Pari before he left for the United States. He gave them two bags of rice. He also expressed his gratitude to the group of boys he played volleyball with on a regular basis. He recalled the many who have lost their lives here in Papua New Guinea as they waited their clearance.

Wishing him a safe and enjoyable flight to the United States. Gods blessings as the Lord opens up new avenues for him.

20180920_PGS1.jpg