PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 708 Comment 0

20180808_PGS.jpg

International Short Film Festival an inspiration

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB
and Abigail Seta

Port Moresby, PNG, 4 August 2018 -- The Second International Short Film Festival (ISFF18) was held on 4th August, 2018 at the Paradise Cinema, Vision City, Port Moresby. The theme for the festival was: Youth Alive, Celebrating Life and Love. 250 persons young and old, participated in an emotional and reflective event.

The program commenced at 9am and participants could exchange views on the films to be screened while they were served snacks and drinks in the premium foyer.

His Excellency, Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Kurian Matthew Vayalunkal was the chief guest at the event. Fr Klement Vaclav sdb, Regional for East Asia Oceania, Fr Alfred Maravilla sdb, Provincial, Principals, priests, religious, laity, parents and students from different schools of the city were present for the occasion. Representatives from the Australian High Commission were special guests at the event.

Being the birthday of the Apostolic Nuncio, the participants sang for him while he cut his birthday cake. Representatives also cut a second cake celebrating the successful Media Education Seminars of 2018 and the commencement of ISFF18.

At the start of the screening, the Archbishop invited all to use the media responsibly. “The media is used to inform, educate and entertain its audience. We need to use this vital tool to spread the ‘Good News”, he encouraged the audience.

The variety of films from different countries highlighted the theme of the Synod for young people: ‘Young people, Faith and Vocational Discernment’; Year of Youth: ‘Called to the fullness of Life and Love’ and the World Communications Day theme: ‘The truth will set you Free, Fake News and Journalism for Peace’.

The faith experience and emotional film from Papua New Guinea, produced by Jeffrey Katusele entitled ‘My Little Story’ drew the greatest applause. It depicted the sacrifice and commitment of Archbishop Francesco Panfilo sdb, (75 years), Archbishop of Rabaul as he goes about his pastoral ministry and work of evangelization.

“The story is about a man who has touched my life with the hand of Christ. I am grateful for I do not have to go far to find Christ”, said Jeffrey. “Watching the struggles of the Archbishop brought tears to my eyes”, said Sr Ria Versario fma. “We can’t believe that at his age, he would experience all these hardships just to bring the Gospel to the people,” said Ms Ester Maragau, a teacher from Jubilee Catholic Secondary School. Others expressed similar sentiments.

Solomon Islands film, da’ strogol by rap artist Philip Palmer was appreciated for his ability to highlight the struggles he faces in life. The rhythm, the beat and the style reverberated with the young and saw them snapping, clapping and snapping.

“Every film was inspiring and gave the audience points to reflect and ponder. Reflect and share your thoughts with others”, said Sheryll Isoaimo MC for the event.

“I am inspired by the films. Despite the difficulties and temptations, I have been inspired to live my life for others”, said Tamarah Munjin.

Representatives from the schools highlighted the importance of the media and how best they could use it to share and communicate a message through the use of radio, print media and videos.

Marianville student, Ashleigh Pangatana, in her sharing said: “The media education seminars have taught us to spread good news and not fake news.”

From the corrected entries of the Salesian Bulletin quiz Fr Klement Vaclav sdb chose Francis Kaua, Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu as the lucky winner.

Hosted by the Catholic Bishops Conference of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, the festival was part of the Media Education Seminars held for selected students of seven schools. The earlier seminars dwelt on: Image, Print, Audio and Video. The seven schools who participated in the event were: Jubilee Catholic Secondary School, Hohola; Sacred Heart Teachers College, Bomana; Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko; Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu; Marianville Secondary School, Bomana; Limana Vocational School, Gordons and Caritas Technical School, Boroko.

“The ISFF18 offers young digital natives to an opportunity to reflect on their vocational journey,” said Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb, as he addressed the audience. He was impressed by the dedication and commitment to the media by the students and their school animators. He expressed his gratitude to the principals who have supported their budding media students.

Special thanks to Mr and Mrs Lina and Hidajat Hanafi, SVS mart; Sr Mazarello Choi, Caritas Technical School, Tejprasarini Don Bosco Communications and all who contributed to make the event an enjoyable and inspiring one.

The ISFF18 kits are available at the Social Communications department at the Catholic Bishops Conference for K100.00 only.

20180808_PGS1.jpg

20180808_PGS2.jpg

20180808_PGS3.jpg

20180808_PGS4.jpg

20180808_PGS5.jpg

20180808_PGS6.jpg

20180808_PGS7.jpg

20180808_PGS8.jpg

20180808_PGS9.jpg

20180808_PGS10.jpg

20180808_PGS11.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4812(II)_"Don Bosco is greater than you can imagine!"

Interview with Bro. Jose Luis, ANS Director By Our Own Correspondent K'Long, Vietnam, 8 August 2018 -- Today is the arrival day of the 7th EAO Salesian Brother Congress participants to K'Long near Dalat City, Vietnam. Thanks to the loving c...
    Date2018.08.09 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views2130 file
    Read More
  2. 4812(I)_“Educate for Life.”

The launching of the Don Bosco Educational Center (DBEC) By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Mandaluyong City, the Philippines -- August 07, 2018 marked the official launching of the Don Bosco Educational Centers (DBEC) - Philippines, Inc. The launch...
    Date2018.08.09 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views991 file
    Read More
  3. 4811(III)_A shining model of Salesian Brother - Venerable Sima'an Srugi

EAO Salesian Brother Congress journey with Brother Simon Srugi (1877-1943) By Fr. Ivo Coelho, SDB General Councilor for Formation RMG, 8 August 2018 -- Since our Salesian Brother, Venerable Simaan Srugi lived very long time ago(1877-1943) a...
    Date2018.08.08 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1549 file
    Read More
  4. 4811(II)_“Youth serving Youth”

Don Bosco Animators Training for DBSTC students By Jascintine Nokondi Kumgi, Papua New Guinea, 5 August 2018 -- Don Bosco Animators Training for DBSTC students on Friday 4th of August to 05th of August 2018. An Animators Training program wa...
    Date2018.08.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views962 file
    Read More
  5. 4811(I)_Youth Alive! Celebrating Life and Love

International Short Film Festival an inspiration By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB and Abigail Seta Port Moresby, PNG, 4 August 2018 -- The Second International Short Film Festival (ISFF18) was held on 4th August, 2018 at the Paradise Cinema, Vis...
    Date2018.08.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views708 file
    Read More
  6. 4810(II)_Consistent contribution to the visibility of Salesian Brother

Listening to the Salesian Brother - 30 Youtube interviews online By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 7 August 2018 -- During past one year all EAO provinces have been encouraged to work on the visibility of the Salesian Brother. Two days before t...
    Date2018.08.07 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views1225 file
    Read More
  7. 4810(I)_Rekindling the Blaze

SYNAG1 (Salesian Youth aNd Animators' Gathering) for school 2018 By Ms Janine Nicole Quinto, SYM Parañaque City, the Philippines, 4 August 2018 -- More than 265 Salesian youth animators, presidents and leaders from different youth groups an...
    Date2018.08.07 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views2063 file
    Read More
  8. 4809(II)_How many are the Salesian Brothers in our EAO region?

Salesian Brother EAO statistics 2018 By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 6 August 2018 -- With the imminent start of the 7th EAO Salesian Brother Congress in Vietnam, many would ask ''Indeed how many are the Salesian Brothers among the 1422 Sales...
    Date2018.08.06 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views1630 file
    Read More
  9. 4809(I)_"Behold, I make all things new"

Cambodian FMA Sister First Profession By Fr. Albeiro Rodas, SDB Photos by Radio Veritas Cambodia Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 4 August 2018 -- Sour Bernadette Pheng Sreymom, a Cambodian native, made her First Religious Profession this Saturday at ...
    Date2018.08.06 CategoryFMA Reply1 Views1469 file
    Read More
  10. 4808(III)_What kind of Bosconians for the youth of PNG?

Don Bosco Alumni of PNG dream to host EAO regional congress 2024 By Mr. Martin Dai, Bosconians Port Moresby, PNG, 4 August 2018 -- Last Saturday, August 4 about 50 Bosconians (Don Bosco Alumni) gathered for their annual encounter and format...
    Date2018.08.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1041 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... 533 Next
/ 533