Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20180621_GIA.jpg

Interview with Br. Akabae, 

life story of the most senior Salesian Brother of Japan 

By Our Own Correspondent

Tokyo, Japan, 18 June 2018 -- Don Bosco son from “Kakure Kirishtan” family in Nagasaki

What makes you happy in Chofu community?

Thanks to God, until this age I’m still able to contribute to our community. Now for past 15 years in Chofu I’m here looking after the large garden. I’m happy because the community entrusted this task to me. It gives me joy at the age of 89!

What is the secret of your good health until this age?

I didn’t believe to able live until today. When I was 15 years old, almost my whole family perished through the Nagasaki nuclear bomb on August 9,1945. From a large family of four Brothers and 5 Sisters only myself and my brother did survived. When I was young boy, 13 years old, I started to work as fishermen and during the nuclear bomb accident I was on the fishing ship far away on the open sea. In this way I have survived. After the (Pacific) war we were poor, but we believed that God lead me and my brother to become Salesians. As posterity of ‘Kakure Kirishitan’ [NB: Hidden Christians from the Nagasaki region who survived the 275 years long persecution], but until today I had never idea to leave the religious vocation! After the war, when I lost my parents, I could not follow forget this sorrow, but little by little the contagious Salesian joy changed my life and I have overcome that deep sorrow.

How was born your Salesian vocation?

Before my initial formation as aspirant, novice in Miyazaki my elder brother was already seminarian. When he visited the family he invited me: ‘Come and follow me!’ When I visited the Salesian house, I was welcome and offered a big party. Yes, I liked that spirit! Also in our house after the war was nothing, and in the Salesian house I got a lot! I followed my brother! But my brother told me: ‘You smoke too much, you can’t follow!’ - But I resisted. That year was open the Salesian Hyuga School in Miyazaki. And I was given the chance to study or to join the Congregation: ‘If you just like to read and write you can join as Salesian Brother. If you like to study more, you need to enroll the school’. I gave myself fully to Don Bosco and started my service as cook and gardener. In this way started my vocation in Miyazaki Salesian community. After 4 months of Salesian experience I was home sick and I reflected: ‘No superiors send me out’ and I felt very bad, and start to pray the Rosary every day. I realized: ‘Maybe If I return home I can’t go to heaven! Then I asked my elder brother for advice. And he told me ‘Come back’ and I have returned. Since that time with the help of God and trust in Mary I can live faithfully my vocation until now for past 69 years! [=first profession 1949]

Salesian house memory you treasure most?

I would not chose any house now. I’m always happy with the place God through the superiors send me. Until now, after first profession I was sent to Chofu for 3 years, when this house was started. Then I spent 39 years in Tokyo – Kodaira orphanage and then 11 years in Nakatsu Boys home. In 2003 Fr. Orlando Puppo sent me here to Chofu and until now I’m member of this community. Every day I’m waiting for the call from heaven. I’m prepared and ready to go to meet Don Bosco in heaven any time!

Any advice to the young Salesians?

Don’t’ have any special advice, since we are living in a family. Just one thing – ‘don’t gossip, please’! This is the most important for building a good community and family spirit.

Who is your favorite Salesian saint?

Saint Antonio is my Patron, but he is not a Salesian :) - and then Fr. Vincent Cimatti! Since the Miyazaki Aspirantate (minor seminary) times I treasure his memory. I can’t forget his early morning prayer in the chapel, when he took off his shoes in order not to wake up other Salesians in the convent before the raising time. Especially Don Cimatti was every time very joyful and very attentive to our families. He often asked me about the health of my family members.

20180621_GIA1.jpg

20180621_GIA2.jpg

20180621_GIA3.jpg

20180621_GIA4.jpg

20180621_GIA5.jpg

20180621_GIA6.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4767(II)_Faithful contribution to the school mission

Interview with Bro. Tono, SDB The most senior Provincial Economer in the EAO Region By Our Own Correspondent Tokyo, Japan, 22 June 2018 -- Br. Tono is the most senior provincial economer in our Region – 78 years of age with 20 years of expe...
    Date2018.06.23 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1240 file
    Read More
  2. 4767(I)_St. Louis Versiglia pray for new Vice Province!

Consultation for the superior of the new Salesian Vice-Province By Bro. Ephrem Santos, SDB, SDB Jakarta, Indonesia, 21 June 2018 -- A special trip was made by the Regional Councilor –Fr Vaclav Klement- to accompany the confreres of Indonesi...
    Date2018.06.23 CategoryINA Reply0 Views1029 file
    Read More
  3. 4766_We need each other in the Salesian Family - Jakarta 2018

Salesian Family Animation by Regional Councilor ASC Mr. Philip Yu in Jakarta By Our Own Correspondent Jakarta, Indonesia, 21 June 2018 -- On the evening of June 20, 2018 gathered 70 members of three Salesian Family groups (40 SDB, 10 FMA an...
    Date2018.06.22 CategoryINA Reply0 Views1214 file
    Read More
  4. 4765(III)_First formation of Salesian economers - Myanmar style

MYM Salesian local economers’ course 2018 By Fr. Leo Mang, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 21 June 2018 -- The very first course for Myanmar Viceprovince local economers course is taking place in Yangon between 18-22 June 2018. Local Bursars from al...
    Date2018.06.21 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views1333 file
    Read More
  5. 4765(II)_Summer in Shuwuu Mission

Short summer of Mongolia Youth with Don Bosco Shuwuu By Fr. Mario Gaspar, SDB Shuwuu, Mongolia, 20 June 2018 -- Summer is moment for the youth to take rest and to enhance one’s talents as well. Three months’ holyday is really a long period ...
    Date2018.06.21 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1066 file
    Read More
  6. 4765(I)_Don’t gossip! – advice to the young Salesians

Interview with Br. Akabae, life story of the most senior Salesian Brother of Japan By Our Own Correspondent Tokyo, Japan, 18 June 2018 -- Don Bosco son from “Kakure Kirishtan” family in Nagasaki What makes you happy in Chofu community? Than...
    Date2018.06.21 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1423 file
    Read More
  7. 4764(III)_To be the pen in the hands of God

Perpetual profession of new missionary to Malaysia By Our Own Correspondent Madrid, Spain, 16 June 2018 -- Two Salesian Brothers - Manuel Rupérez (FIN province - missionary to Malaysia) and José Luis Gallego (Spain province) made their perp...
    Date2018.06.20 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1591 file
    Read More
  8. 4764(II)_66 Years of Faithful Salesian Religious Life Witness

Fr. Joseph Kamezawa went to the house of the Father By Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, SDB Beppu, Japan, 16 June 2018 -- Last Sunday, June 16th passed away Fr. Joseph KAMEZAWA Tsunemizu in Beppu, Oita Prefecture, Kyushu Island at the age of 90 years....
    Date2018.06.20 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views869 file
    Read More
  9. 4764(I)_Cardinal Charles Bo visits Clifton Hill Melbourne formation house

Family event in the international formation house in Melbourne By Cl. Dominic Aung Po Myint, SDB Melbourne, Australia -- On 16 June 2018, Saturday, we were privileged to host His Eminence Charles Cardinal Bo SDB and Fr. Noel from the Archdi...
    Date2018.06.20 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views937 file
    Read More
  10. 4763(II)_Grateful for the provincial journey - Japan province

Provincial Community Day and Consultation in Tokyo By Our Own Correspondent Tokyo, Japan, 18 June 2018 -- According the 2018-2019 annual schedule the Japan Provincial Community Day was celebrated on Sunday, June 17 in the Salesian Formation...
    Date2018.06.19 CategoryGIA Reply1 Views2485 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 ... 532 Next
/ 532