Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 414 Comment 0

20180611_PGS.jpg

A Japanese young Salesian talking about his missionary experience in PGS

By Cl. Philip Neri Tsutsumi, SDB

Araimiri, PNG, 10 June 2018 -- I was born in Fukuoka, Japan. In 2010 I became a Junior aspirant. After my novitiate in Chofu I made my first profession on March 19, 2016. I graduated from the Sophia University with a degree in education last March. Since I had long expressed my missionary desire to my Novice Director and then to my Provincial, Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, he sent me to PGS Vice-Province to help me discern my missionary vocation. I was welcomed here with open arms last April 5.

Upon my arrival I had 2 weeks cultural orientation in the Provincial House in Port Moresby. Fr. Alfred Maravilla, the Provincial, helped me understand not only the history and directives of the PGS Vice-Province but also the Melanesian culture and values which are so different from my Japanese culture and values. I was also pleasantly surprised that this small PGS Vice-Province is made up of confreres from 14 countries, working together for marginalised young people in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands!

I was assigned to Don Bosco Araimiri in the Gulf Province, around 7 hours from Port Moresby through rough road. I hope to be here until March next year, but already after 3 months I am so happy with my experience. Before coming here I had romanticised missionary life. Now after being fully involved in the life and activities of the 5 other confreres I realised that missionary life is difficult because we have to deal with very difficult people, tough environment and deprivations of things I took for granted in Japan (no electricity, no internet, no phone signal, etc). I have lost a bit of weight but my health is OK. But I also realised how much the whole community helps me to grow in my Salesian and missionary vocation. Cl. Sylvester Kuli is a practical trainee with me. We help and support each other.

Last month we had the practical trainees encounter. It was a beautiful experience for me to meet other young Salesians and share our experiences together. In Japan I was the only novice and now there is only 1 practical trainee. Instead here I learnt so much from our group sharings as young Salesians from PNG, India, El Salvador and Japan. I really appreciated our camaraderie.

Last month Cl. Sylvester Kuli renewd his vows in Araimiri surrounded by so many young people. I am happy that Fr. Alfred agreed to consider my request of the possibility to renew my vows next year also surrounded by so many young people here in Araimiri. He reminded me, however, that I am here to discern my missionary vocation with the help of my rector, hopefully in view of making myself available to the Rector Major through my missionary application.

Last June 9 I celebrated my 24th birthday in a very simple and frugal way, but very memorable for me. Thank you PGS Vice-Province for this missionary experience!

20180611_PGS0.jpg

20180611_PGS1.jpg

20180611_PGS2.jpg

Maximum Attachments : 0Byte/ 5.00MB
Maximum File Size : 5.00MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

1. 4794(III)_How can we implement art. 45 of SDB Constitutions?

Sharing the Wisdom about Salesian Brother Vocation: Deep reflection from Rome - Brother Jess Garcia (PGS) By Bro. Jesus (Jess) Garcia, SDB Economer of St Joseph Community Sacro Cuore (Rome-Italy) RMG, 21 July 2018 -- ...
    Date2018.07.22 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views128 newfile
    Read More
  2. 4794(II)_Being Communicative Salesians

SDB assembly on Social Communications and Finance By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Makati City, the Philippines, 21 July 2018 -- The Salesians of the Philippines North Province gathered at the JOY CENTER of Don Bosco Technical I...
    Date2018.07.22 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views89 newfile
    Read More
  3. 4794(I)_Road Map for China province 2024 - Accompaniment

Five days in the house of the Rector Major By Our Own Correspondent CIN, 20 July 2018 -- According the already established policy on close accompaniment of all Provincial Superiors, also Fr Joseph NG, new provincial of Ch...
    Date2018.07.22 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views132 newfile
    Read More
  4. 4793(I)_Lord, we will surely deliver the water to our neighbors

Korea ASC held the Annual Conference By Mr. Thomas Aquinas Lee, ASC DaeJeon, Korea, 15 July 2018 -- Korea ASC held the Annual Conference in three big cities. July 1 in Seoul, July 8 in Gwangju, and July 15 in DaeJe...
    Date2018.07.21 CategoryASC Reply0 Views147 file
    Read More
  5. 4793(II)_Short but worthwhile

SMV Experience in Cambodia By Zenaida Ann Miranda Cebu, the Philippines, 20 July 2018 -- We are sharing the experiences and learning of our young volunteers Marga, Karen and Christine who went for a one-month volunteering...
    Date2018.07.21 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views156 file
    Read More
  6. 4792(VI)_Cagliero Project Immersion to Samoa

By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Alafua, Samoa, 19 July 2018 -- A group of young Australians representing the Cagliero Project and the Salesians of Don Bosco in Australia have just returned from a very successful immersion in Samoa. The AUL...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views369 file
    Read More
  7. 4792(IV)_Path towards the 2019 EAO Salesian History Seminar

Salesian Family of EAO Region prepares for the 2019 History Seminar By Fr. Nestor Impelido, SDB EAO - ACCSSA SDB Coordinator EAO, 19 July 2018 -- Last month (June 22-24, 2018) was succesfully organized the Third South...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views82 file
    Read More
  8. 4792(V)_First Meeting of the Mission Animation Team AUL

By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Melbourne, Australia, 18 July 2018 -- Lauren Hichaaba, the Provincial Delegate for Mission Animation for the AUL Province, is now being supported by a highly competent team. The inaugural meeting for the AUL...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views96 file
    Read More
  9. 4792(III)_What makes you happy or joyful as Salesian Brother?

Interview with Bro. Tony M. Caspellan, SDB By Cl. April Jerome Quinto, SDB Manila, the Philippines, 18 July 2018 -- For Salesian Brothers’ Congress What makes you happy or joyful as Salesian Brother? The transformat...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views157 file
    Read More
  10. 4792(II)_Openned the summer sports festival 2018

Don Bosco Ben Cat, Viet Nam By Trung Hoan, SDB Ben Cat, Vietnam, 16 July 2018 -- As annual tradition, when summer comes the atmosphere of Salesian house becomes more interesting and cheerful. It is very joyful and happy b...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views31 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 211 Next
/ 211