Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1214 Comment 0

20180611_PGS.jpg

A Japanese young Salesian talking about his missionary experience in PGS

By Cl. Philip Neri Tsutsumi, SDB

Araimiri, PNG, 10 June 2018 -- I was born in Fukuoka, Japan. In 2010 I became a Junior aspirant. After my novitiate in Chofu I made my first profession on March 19, 2016. I graduated from the Sophia University with a degree in education last March. Since I had long expressed my missionary desire to my Novice Director and then to my Provincial, Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, he sent me to PGS Vice-Province to help me discern my missionary vocation. I was welcomed here with open arms last April 5.

Upon my arrival I had 2 weeks cultural orientation in the Provincial House in Port Moresby. Fr. Alfred Maravilla, the Provincial, helped me understand not only the history and directives of the PGS Vice-Province but also the Melanesian culture and values which are so different from my Japanese culture and values. I was also pleasantly surprised that this small PGS Vice-Province is made up of confreres from 14 countries, working together for marginalised young people in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands!

I was assigned to Don Bosco Araimiri in the Gulf Province, around 7 hours from Port Moresby through rough road. I hope to be here until March next year, but already after 3 months I am so happy with my experience. Before coming here I had romanticised missionary life. Now after being fully involved in the life and activities of the 5 other confreres I realised that missionary life is difficult because we have to deal with very difficult people, tough environment and deprivations of things I took for granted in Japan (no electricity, no internet, no phone signal, etc). I have lost a bit of weight but my health is OK. But I also realised how much the whole community helps me to grow in my Salesian and missionary vocation. Cl. Sylvester Kuli is a practical trainee with me. We help and support each other.

Last month we had the practical trainees encounter. It was a beautiful experience for me to meet other young Salesians and share our experiences together. In Japan I was the only novice and now there is only 1 practical trainee. Instead here I learnt so much from our group sharings as young Salesians from PNG, India, El Salvador and Japan. I really appreciated our camaraderie.

Last month Cl. Sylvester Kuli renewd his vows in Araimiri surrounded by so many young people. I am happy that Fr. Alfred agreed to consider my request of the possibility to renew my vows next year also surrounded by so many young people here in Araimiri. He reminded me, however, that I am here to discern my missionary vocation with the help of my rector, hopefully in view of making myself available to the Rector Major through my missionary application.

Last June 9 I celebrated my 24th birthday in a very simple and frugal way, but very memorable for me. Thank you PGS Vice-Province for this missionary experience!

20180611_PGS0.jpg

20180611_PGS1.jpg

20180611_PGS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4758(I)_How do we live the commumion of Saints?

Follow up of the 2018 Salesian Holiness Seminar By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 13 June 2018 -- There are five questions in this brief letter of the Rector Major, that will be published as the part of the Acts of the General Council (ACG) n. ...
    Date2018.06.14 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1110 file
    Read More
  2. 4758(III)_Students pray for victim of Don Bosco Sihanoukville tragedy

Sihanoukville, Cambodia, 14 June 2018 -- Fr. Eugene Xalxo, Rector of Don Bosco Sihanoukville, presided the Holy Eucharist at the beginning of the 7 Days mourning for late teacher Sarath Seng, who lost his life during the explosion of an oxyg...
    Date2018.06.14 CategoryCamb. Reply1 Views1212 file
    Read More
  3. 4757(III)_"Ours Is a Nation on Exodus. It Was a Promised Land"

Homily of Cardinal Charles Bo in Sydney Cathedral By Cardinal Charles Bo, SDB Sydney, Australia, 11 June 2018 -- Dear Brothers and Sisters, good to see you all today – in our sacred fellowship of breaking the bread and breaking the word. Au...
    Date2018.06.13 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views764 file
    Read More
  4. 4757(II)_Missionary Awareness through social media

Missionary animation with creativity - FIN model By Fr. Ding Cortez Makati, the Philippines, 11 June 2018 -- Today is the 11th of the month and as part of our missionary vocation awareness, we shall be featuring short video clips from confr...
    Date2018.06.13 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views1455 file
    Read More
  5. 4757(I)_The 'Rector Major of Salesian Brothers': Br. Carlo Gamba

A true educator, apostle, technician and missionary From the Mortuary Lette rwritten by Fr. Ramoncito Padilla, SDB Fatumaca, Timor Leste, 2002 -- Bro. Carlo Gamba was born in Castell' Alfero d’Asti, Italy, on the 24th September 1918. His pa...
    Date2018.06.13 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1294 file
    Read More
  6. 4756_Do Whatever He Tells You (John 2,5)

Fr. Joseph NG Chi Yuen appointed as 15th Provincial of CIN By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 11 June 2018 -- After the consultation for the new CIN Provincial the Rector Major with the consent of his council appointed on 8th June 2017 as the 15...
    Date2018.06.11 CategoryRMG Reply2 Views3647 file
    Read More
  7. 4755(II)_Provincial gives formation to Postnovitiate confreres

Fraternal exchange between the postnovices and the Superior By Fr. Joao da Costa Boavida , SDB Dili, Timor Leste, 11 June 2018 -- The postnovitces of TLS Vice-Province are in their semestral break. Our Salesian tradition has taught us that ...
    Date2018.06.11 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1521 file
    Read More
  8. 4755(I)_Missionary Experience as Discernment

A Japanese young Salesian talking about his missionary experience in PGS By Cl. Philip Neri Tsutsumi, SDB Araimiri, PNG, 10 June 2018 -- I was born in Fukuoka, Japan. In 2010 I became a Junior aspirant. After my novitiate in Chofu I made my...
    Date2018.06.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1214 file
    Read More
  9. 4754(III)_First of all heartfelt thanks and request of your blessing!

Gratitude and greetings from the Bishop elect of Saitama, Mario Yamanouchi, SDB By Mons. Mario Yamanouchi, SDB Tokyo, Japan, 9 June 2018 -- As already did Pope Francis after his election in his first greetings on March 13, 2013 - also I’m a...
    Date2018.06.10 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views2464 file
    Read More
  10. 4754(II)_The Formative Encounter for the EAO Salesian Brother Congress

Salesian Prenovices and Formators prepare the EAO Congress By Fr. Joao da Costa Boavida, SDB Lospalos, Timor-Leste, 9 June 2018 -- As the EAO Salesian Brothers Congress which will be held in Vietnam is approaching, the Salesian brothers in ...
    Date2018.06.10 CategoryTLS Reply1 Views925 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 ... 532 Next
/ 532