?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20180528_PGS.jpg

By Asp. Palep Bigiglen

Port Moresby, PNG -- Last May 24, I was blessed to witness the first religious profession of Conrad Vamilat and Pio Ehava. The shrine of Mary Help of Christians was filled not only by other religious and members of the Salesian family but a great number of young men and women.

The profession rite had an element which was typically Melanesian: exchange of gifts between our Provincial, Fr. Alfred Maravilla on behalf of the Salesians and the parents and families of the 2 novices. With this exchange the families of these novices entrusted Conrad Vamilat and Pio Ehava totally to the Salesian Society. Fr. Provincial reminded them Don Bosco’s words that if a boy leaves his family to become a Salesian Jesus himself will take his place in the family. This exchange had a very powerful message for us. It helped me understand what making the vows mean. Then the profession rite followed.

As they pronounced their vows I also noticed a priest and a brother standing besides Fr. Provincial. To me it was a timely reminded that the Salesians are a congregation of priests and brothers! As I witnessed these young men pronounce their vows committing themselves to be obedient, poor and chaste for God’s Kingdom I felt proud and also nervous. I was proud to see my countrymen becoming Salesians. As a second year aspirant their commitment also challenges me to deepen my faith in God so that I may discern his plan for me. Today we young papua new guineans often say that we just want to give something a try. If it does not work then try something else! Conrad and Pio’s choice to make the vows challenges us young people not to be afraid to commit ourselves to discover God’s call for each one of us.

It was beautiful that this took place on Our Lady’s feast. Her example of total obedience to God inspire me strive to discover God’s will for me. In the same way that she accompanied Don Bosco in his mission for the young, I am sure Mary will accompany us young people as we journey through life.

20180528_PGS1.jpg

20180528_PGS2.jpg

20180528_PGS3.jpg

20180528_PGS4.jpg