Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 880 Comment 0

20171223_EAO.jpg

Salesian Mission Day 2018 starts on Christmas

By Our Own Correspondent

EAO, 23 December 2017 -- AustraLasia offers to the its readers the reflection of the His Excellency Archbishop Thomas Menamparampil, SDB, Archbishop Emeritus of Guwahati as an Invitation to a deeper encounter with Jesus in 2017 Christmas.

"It was in the Asian Synod of 1998 that I used the phrase 'Whispering the Gospel to the Soul of Asia' for the first time. Several Asian bishops came to thank me for the expression during the coffee-break. Later others too joined. I used the phrase on another occasion to conclude an article of mine on the evangelization of Asia. I received words of appreciation precisely for that phrase from persons I never knew: in Japan, Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh....

... when I drafted that intervention for the Asian Synod of 1998 I meant a missionary’s closeness to his people. All those who dealt successfully with large numbers sought to be close to people: individuals and communities. That gave them great persuasive power. Mahatma Gandhi was close to his people, to individuals and groups. His relationships were always warm and intimate. Mother Teresa had a singular ability of making everyone she met feel that she belonged to him/her. That is why even a whisper from her mattered. President Clinton said that no one in modern times had stung the conscience of the world as she had done. Princess Diana would bend deep like a little girl to listen to Mother’s ‘whispers...

...The aspect of 'depth' is as important as the quality of intimacy. Asians esteem depth no matter what persuasion you belong to. While depth has reference to the content of the discussion, it also has reference to the personality of the communicator, the quality of the relationship, the unction of the style of communicating. It points to the intimacy a communicator has with own his/her real ‘self’ as well. In Indian spirituality, pursuit of the ‘self’ is one of the highest goals. If the communicator is close to his own ‘superficial self’ the content and style of his communication will also reflect that. But if he is often with his ‘deeper self’, the profounder dimension of his/her person, when he communicates a message, he wins attention.

I am tempted to believe that the very phrase 'Whispering the Gospel to the Soul of Asia' was the utterance of the collective psyche of Asia. It was not an artificially constructed strategy of anyone after much study and elaborate discussion. It sprang up spontaneously as the Asian Church was gathered in Rome for the most important event in its recent history. It holds the formula for the future of evangelical work in Asia."

May this leit-motif of the Salesian Mission Day 2018 - 'Initial Proclamation and Vocation Training Centers in Asia' help us to enter the depth of God becoming one with us on this Christmas days of 2017! 

The materials of the SMD 2018 are still not yet translated in English. If you like to help us, contact the Australasia editor!

20171223_EAO0.jpg

20171223_EAO1.jpg

20171223_EAO2.jpg

20171223_EAO3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4591(I)_Christmas in Hong Kong - South Asia Migrant community

By Fr. Dolphie Sequiera Hong Kong, 25 December 2017 -- Christmas is a very beautiful occasion for St Louis Catholic community and to all involved. On the Christmas Solemnity Day we prayed that Peace May reign in all countries and Jesus may ...
    Date2017.12.26 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views680 file
    Read More
  2. 4590_Merry Christmas to all Salesians and Salesian Family members!

EAO Christmas greeting By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 24 December 2017 -- Dear AustraLasia - Boscolink Family, Heartfelt wishes of Merry Christmas Feast to all Salesians and Salesian Family members! From Darkhan (Mongolia) to Tasmania (Austr...
    Date2017.12.24 CategoryEAO Reply2 Views660 file
    Read More
  3. 4589_Whispering the Gospel to the soul of Asia

Salesian Mission Day 2018 starts on Christmas By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 23 December 2017 -- AustraLasia offers to the its readers the reflection of the His Excellency Archbishop Thomas Menamparampil, SDB, Archbishop Emeritus of Guwahati...
    Date2017.12.23 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views880 file
    Read More
  4. 4588_Prevention not Repression

2017 Winter Seminar for Salesians in Initial Formation By Fr Benedict Kim, SDB Daejeon, South Korea, 20 December 2017 -- Korean Province holds two seminars for the Salesians in initial formation each year, one during summer and the other on...
    Date2017.12.21 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1210 file
    Read More
  5. 4587_Something good can come from Nazareth?

Salesian Brother Simon Srugi - 140th anniversary of birth By Our Own Correspondent Jerusalem, 20 December 2017 -- Fr. Gianni Caputa, professor emeritus of the Faculty of Theology of the UPS (Cremisan - Jerusalem), Italian missionary in the ...
    Date2017.12.20 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views1251 file
    Read More
  6. 4586(II)_What do I learn from the young people

Practical training - growing in relationship with God: Interview with Cl. Jeff Miller By Our Own Correspondent Sydney, Australia, 18 December 2017 -- Practical training is a time of vocation maturity. How did you mature in your vocation dur...
    Date2017.12.19 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views910 file
    Read More
  7. 4586(I)_The Mission of VDB Today

Towards the 8th General Assembly July 2019 By Olga K., VDB (From the VDB Formation Magazine 'Crescere' n.4/2017') Rome, 18 December 2017 -- “The world is knocking at our hearts”- Give me a drink” (John 4:7) During the 100th anniversary of t...
    Date2017.12.19 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1132 file
    Read More
  8. 4585(III)_Don Bosco Sunday School Share The Spirit Of Christmas With The Old People

At Home Of Compassion And The Old Sisters At Wailoku, Suva By Br. Sinapati Ioane, SDB Suva, Fiji, 18 December 2017 -- “Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly Merry Christmas.” – Peg Bracken It’s that time of the ...
    Date2017.12.18 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1942 file
    Read More
  9. 4585(II)_Live and work together make me joyful in the Salesian life

Interview with a Vietnamese Salesian Brother Mission in Belgium (Project Europe) By Our Own Correspondent Hechtel, Belgium, 17 December 2017 -- Br. Joseph Hoan Pham, SDB is one of the 20 Salesian Brothers - missionaries ad gentes living and...
    Date2017.12.18 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1200 file
    Read More
  10. 4585(I)_27 new Salesian Cooperators Promised in Korea

During the annual Advent Retreat in Daejeon By KOR-ASC Daejeon, Korea -- December 2~3rd 2017 there held an Annual Retreat and the Promise of 27 new Salesian Cooperators in Korea. About 180 Salesian Cooperators gathered together,some of them...
    Date2017.12.18 CategoryASC Reply0 Views724 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 ... 533 Next
/ 533