PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1324 Comment 0

20170726_CIN.jpg

The Salesian Charism in Aberdeen Technical School

By Mr. Jack Wong
Principle, Aberdeen Technical School

Hong Kong, 26 July 2017 -- "I have been working in Aberdeen Technical School (ATS), as a principal for 11 months. I am happy that I can feel the Salesian loving kindness and the great blessings from God through working this school. Running a school in Hong Kong is not easy, partly due to the declining in birth rates over the past 10 years and partly due to many social problems in the society, like social changes, huge differences between the rich and poor, small and expensive living places and increase in divorce rate, etc . Many students are suffering from these social issues and are distressed. The boarding section provides a shelter for these students, so that they are better catered and educated. The boarding section in the school near hosted one-third of the students. Running the boarding section is quite challenging and I was astonished that every time when we have a problem; there will be someone come to us to solve the problem. The spontaneity of Salesians and our Lay Mission Partners make me to believe that it is God, who sent all those people in helping us during our hardship to foster our service. I used to say there is God’s grace in leading the school.

Unlike other schools in Hong Kong, the school is led by two priest-Salesians, Fr Simon Lam and Fr Carlos Cheung. We have religious sharing every week during our good morning talk and prayers every day. We have mass or Lectio Divina together with different games to celebrate our feast days. Although not all of our students are Catholics, many of them do pray seriously. It opens my eyes to witness and to appreciate the Salesian spirit of accompanying the students which is different from my college during my secondary Catholic school education.

In my opinion, Fr Lam is a firm and determined person. He sometimes looks very serious and is really cool. For every school day, at around 4:00 p.m., I can see lots of students gathering in Father Lam’s office. They go there to watch English movies, to enjoy their snacks, to play card games or to have social talks with Fr Lam. For many of these students, Fr Lam is pretty much like their fathers or their grandfathers. They can feel the love and kindness that Fr Lam delivers to them. They said to me that they will not leave Father Lam, even if Father Lam scolds them. I can hear students’ voices and laughters in Father Lam’s office. They were like close family members and the atmosphere is very warm even in cold winter.

Unlike Fr Lam’s fatherly image, Fr Cheung appears to be an elder brother to most students. He is very pleasant and patient. Many students seek him for his advices. To most students, Fr Cheung is a great problem solver. He gives great reassurance to our students and helps our students to take up leading roles in many religious activities. His brotherly presence made our students to feel great confidence. This is very important in helping a youth to become sensible and responsible being.

I truly thank God in giving me this valuable opportunity to work with two Salesian priests and the SDB community in ATS. They have given me great insight on the Salesian education system which is the loving kindness of Don Bosco in accompanying the young. I hope that through God’s guidance, the school will run smoothly and help more underprivileged youths to develop properly."

Mr. Jack Wong is the youngest principle among all our Salesian School here in Hong Kong (CIN province), graduated in Hong Kong La Salle College. At present all 17 schools in the CIN province have lay leadership. Aberdeen Technical School (http://www.ats.edu.hk) celebrated two years ago 80th anniversary. The ATS Salesian community has 6 confreres - 3 Salesian Brothers and 3 Salesian Priests.

Related articles:

20170726_CIN1.jpg

20170726_CIN2.jpg

20170726_CIN3.jpg

20170726_CIN4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4448(I)_Salesian Lay Mission Partners in Hong Kong

The Salesian Charism in Aberdeen Technical School By Mr. Jack Wong Principle, Aberdeen Technical School Hong Kong, 26 July 2017 -- "I have been working in Aberdeen Technical School (ATS), as a principal for 11 months. I am happy that I can ...
    Date2017.07.26 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1324 file
    Read More
  2. 4449(I)_Kiwi Bosco 2017

By Fr Aleki Piula, SDB Auckland, New Zealand, 8 July 2017 -- The history of the Don Bosco Youth of St Paul’s Massey & Ranui, and St Mary’s Avondale Youth started in a dream where a man said: “You will have to win these friends of yours ...
    Date2017.07.26 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views625 file
    Read More
  3. 4447(III)_Listening together to the young

Accompaniment of the young - common journey By Our Own Correspondent Castelgandolfo, Italy, 24 July 2017 -- Summer annual meeting of SDB and FMA General Councils was held at FMA summer council venue in Castelgandolfo in the afternoon of Jul...
    Date2017.07.25 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views610 file
    Read More
  4. 4447(II)_A great role model for the Salesians in Burma - Fr. Giacomin

Accompaniment of the young - common journey By Fr. William Matthews, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 24 July 2017 -- After the official letter of the Superior of MYM Vice-province Fr. Joachim Ye Maung was appointed as the in charge of the preliminar...
    Date2017.07.25 CategoryMYM Reply1 Views722 file
    Read More
  5. 4447(I)_Don't let your batteries control you!

Article on the Formation Talk on Social Media By Emma Schmidt, DBTI Student Port Moresby, PNG, 22 July 2017 -- We are living in the world of technology and it is here to stay! Fr. Ambrose Pereira SDB, addressed the members of the Mary Our H...
    Date2017.07.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views748 file
    Read More
  6. 4446_“Priest does not seek what belongs to him, but what belongs to Jesus Christ!”

Priestly Ordination in Vietnam By Fr. Mạng Lưới Thông Tin Gia đình Salêdiêng, SDB Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 22 July 2017 -- This is the reminder of the ordaining bishop, Most Reverend Alphonse Nguyen Huu Long, Coadjutor Bishop of Hung Hoa,...
    Date2017.07.24 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views856 file
    Read More
  7. 4445_#GodProvides: Farewell, Bro Elmer!

A reflection: Bro. Elmer now rests in our garden in heaven! By Cl. Jerome Quinto, SDB Photo from: his Facebook profile, Frs. Favie Faldas, Vester Casaclang, SDB Makati City, the Philippines, 22 July 2017 -- Early morning on the Feast of Mar...
    Date2017.07.24 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views4218 file
    Read More
  8. 4444(I)_Mekong Delta Orphanage is growing

Growing Like Pinardi Shed - Can Gio By Fr. Joseph Dang, SDB Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 22 July 2017 -- The Salesian can't survive without the poor young people. Already the first Salesian work in Hanoi (1952) was an Orphanage of St. Theresa...
    Date2017.07.23 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views612 file
    Read More
  9. 4444(II)_Don Bosco Winter Camps – Melbourne

By Teaghan Dolan, SYM Leader Melbourne, Australia, 22 July 2017 -- As the winter school holidays come to an end, volunteer leader Teaghan Dolan looks back at the 2017 Winter Camp's and reflects on all the fun that was had... As the winter s...
    Date2017.07.23 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views721 file
    Read More
  10. 4443_With the Indigenous People I Discover More and More God’s Call for Me

SMD 2017 Focus on America: from the EAO perspective (II) By Cl. José Phan Anh Tuan, SDB Missionary in the Amazon, Venezuela from Vietnam Caracas, Venezuela, 22 July 2017 -- My missionary religious life ad gentes started in a similar way to ...
    Date2017.07.22 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views786 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 ... 533 Next
/ 533