Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 6901 Comment 0

20170601_CIN.jpg

Extract from the Mortuary Letter for Bro. Edward Kowala, SDB

By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti, SDB

Hong Kong, 1 June 2017 -- The last words we heard from Br. Edward, before he passed away in Canossa hospital on February 10th, were (spoken in Cantonese): “Tin Jyu Bou Yao!” (“May God bless you!”) The last songs sung on February 18, 2017 over the tomb of Czech Salesian Brother Edward Kowala were the School Anthem of St. Louis School Br. Edward worked for 52 years and the Chinese “Giù dai colli” hymn to Don Bosco known by all in the China Province.

During the Vigil Requiem Mass were present a host of Past Pupils of Don Bosco from St. Louis School (Old Boys Association) who had come to say good-bye to their beloved teacher and mentor. The Mass was attended also by Consul General and other members of the Czech Consulate in Hong Kong.

The story of his early life, told by Br. Edward himself, is very moving: “I, Edward Kowala, was born in 1926 in Vendryně, Třinec, Silesia region of the Czechoslovakia, as the 3rd of the 9 children of John Kovala and Johanna Kotská. Six-year old, my family was reduced to extreme poverty by the Great Depression and by being cheated by unscrupulous speculators, the whole family was thrown onto the street. No regular schooling was possible, I attended Polish and Czech schools. Twelve-year old, in 1938, my motherland Silesia was carved up by Germany, Poland, and Hungary, so my further schooling was made in a German school. Fourteen-year old, in 1940, having no way to continue my schooling, began to work in Germany. I worked at first as a waiter in a restaurant, then I worked for some time on the Polish boarder, but was badly hurt while working. In Germany - Dresden I was employed as a mechanic dedicated to filing. Three months after return back home I was employed at Ludwigshafen factory as a mechanic. There I lived in a lager, my health undermined by the air pollution caused by the pervading ammonia powder. As I stayed not far from the infamous Auschwitz Labor Death-Camp, I met some English and Canadian prisoners of war. From them I learnt my first English sentence: “Will you give me a cigarette, please?” My next experience was forced Arbeitsdienst (“work-service”), done not with guns, but with shovels as slaves. We had to dig deep holes in the ground, then I was forcedly enlisted in the German army that was occupying Poland. After sometime we were deployed to West Germany, because our superiors were afraid that we would defect to the Russians who were advancing. We received training against gas warfare, against tanks on sand fields, hiding in holes dug by ourselves. The next deployment was as a messenger, having to move under American bombing. I was lucky not to get killed and not to kill anybody. We had the very dangerous task of digging trenches on the front line. Each day there was only one ration of food in the evening. Once, crawling out of my hole to take some peas from the fields, I was targeted by an American fighter plane. My helmet was destroyed, but I escaped unharmed. Few months later we were caught as prisoners of war, we were transported to Edinburgh, Scotland, Great Britain. For a few months we were held in a military prison. Finally, I was released wearing a British army uniform with Czech insignia. Next I was sent to France to work in a small workshop to repair tanks and armored cars. At the end of the war, I went back home, serving 2 years in the Czech army in Ostrovačice near Brno, then I worked for some time as a driver with my brother. It was then that I began to think of entering a Religious Order.”

“When in 1948 the Communists took power, I decided to escape. After passing a night in a hotel near the border, the next day I walked through the border into West Germany. For 3 months I was in a German refugee camp, then sent to a refugee camp in England, near Oxford. I was accepted, working mainly as a waiter, and so being able to devote the rest of the time to self-study with the Augustinian Order for 4 years. I confessed regularly to the local Parish Priest. When I expressed my desire to join the Benedictins, my confessor (who was an ex-Salesian) said: “Why not join the Salesians?”

That is how I went in 1953 to see the Salesian Provincial Fr. Thomas Hall in Battersea, London, then made my novitiate in Burwash, the philosophy studies in Beckford, but wasting time in the kitchen. The games after lunch left me all in a sweat. As no showers were taken and no drying up made, so I got terribly sick. I was sent to teach in Shrigley [the Salesian Missionary Aspirantate]. I asked to go to the missions. I was offered the choice of Germany, Malta, Hong Kong. I chose Hong Kong and arrived in Cheung Chau in November 1958 wearing a clerical cassock. The Diploma in Philosophy and Education of the Academy of Philosophy for the Far East Salesians of St. John Bosco is dated 13th April 1960. Then few years later his application for perpetual profession was accepted, but not as candidate to the Salesian Priesthood, but as candidate to the permanent Salesian Brotherhood.

“So in 1962 I was sent to St. Louis where I was asked to teach English in Form 3 and History in Form 4.” For the next 55 years, Br. Edward Kowala was an invaluable educative-pastoral presence in St. Louis School, first as a full-time teacher and then as a retired teacher still fully committed to the educative-pastoral formation of the young. There were only two short interruptions. First in1971-1972 for a full-time two-year study of Chinese gaining a double Certificate in Chinese Language from the University of Hong Kong (Cantonese 1971, Mandarin 1972). The second interruption was in 1974-1977, when Br. Edward, to upgrade his teaching of Religious Knowledge in the school, took up a full course of theological studies in Mayooth, Ireland, obtaining a Bachelor Degree in Theology.

Br. Edward’s dramatic early life had equipped him for an outstanding work of education and pastoral care of the young. The languages he had studied and could manage were Czech, German, English, Italian, Latin, Cantonese, and Mandarin. The courses he taught in ATS and in SLS were English Language, History, Algebra, Biology, and Biblical Knowledge. His hobby was coaching the St. Louis boys in their soccer teams. But what he kept up to the very end of his life, was the caring contact with old and new boys he met in the school and in the Sunday Oratory.

Like Don Bosco, Brother Edward spent time to walk along with his students even they no longer went to school. Truly, Br. Edward Kowala lived to the full the vocation of the Religious Brother as educator and evangelizer

Biographical Data of Bro. Edward Kowala, SDB

• 1926 Birth in Vendryne, Czechoslovakia
  • 1940 Work as a mechanic in Germany
  • 1941-1944 Forced Military Service in the German Army
  • 1944-1945 Prisoner of War in England, France
  • 1945-1948 Work in Czechoslovakia
  • 1948 Escape from Communist Czechoslovakia, Asylum in England
  • 1949-1953 House Services for the Benedictines, Huntingdon, England
  • 1953-1955 Aspirantate in Beckford and Melchet Court, England
  • 1956 First Profession in Burwash, England
  • 1958 Missionary Arrival in Hong Kong, Philosoophy in Cheung Chau
  • 1962 Perpetual Profession in Hong Kong
  • 1962-1974 Educative-Pastoral Work in St. Louis School
  • 1974-1977 Study of Theology in Maynooth, Ireland
  • 1977-2017 Educative-Pastoral Work in St. Louis School
  • 2017 Death in Canossa Hospital, Hong Kong

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4397_Perpetual Profession

By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Paranaque City, the Philippines, 31 May 2017 -- On this Solemn Feast of the Visitation of our Blessed Mother to her cousin Elizabeth, the Lord Jesus visited our EAO Region in a very grace-filled way through the Sol...
    Date2017.06.02 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1973 file
    Read More
  2. 4396(III)_Fiji Islands: New frontier of Pacific Delegation

By Our Own Correspondent Suva, Fiji, 1 June 2017 -- Five months after the birth of the Pacific Delegation the dynamic community of Suva Don Bosco becomes the most visible expression of the new frontiers. Six novices, five postnovices, one d...
    Date2017.06.01 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views3918 file
    Read More
  3. 4396(II)_Annual Gathering of Initial Formation

By Fr. Manuel Pinto, SDB Lospalos, East Timor, 30 May 2017 -- Every year there always a formation gathering of those in initial formation (Pre-Novitiate, Novitiate and Post-Novitiate) during semestral break which last two or three days. Thi...
    Date2017.06.01 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views870 file
    Read More
  4. 4396(I)_Dramatic life of a humble disciple of Don Bosco

Extract from the Mortuary Letter for Bro. Edward Kowala, SDB By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti, SDB Hong Kong, 1 June 2017 -- The last words we heard from Br. Edward, before he passed away in Canossa hospital on February 10th, were (spoken in Can...
    Date2017.06.01 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views6901 file
    Read More
  5. 4395_FIS 25th Anniversary

By Social Communications Office FIS Cebu, the Philippines, 31 May 2017 -- "Our congregation is 163 years old and our very own Philippine South Province is 25 - quite a long stretch of time in between. But through it all, we have our Salesia...
    Date2017.05.31 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views692 file
    Read More
  6. 4394(III)_A day in the life of Maung Zaw Oo

By Don Bosco Mission Bonn / Peter Käser Mandalay, Myanmar, 31 May 2017 -- Maung Zaw Oo knows what it means to be alone. To have no parents who care about one and live in a strange city. He grew seven bus-hours away from Mandalay in the Shan...
    Date2017.05.31 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views1465 file
    Read More
  7. 4394(II)_Prayers for Fr. Germain Lagger are requested

By VIE provincial secretary HCM City, Vietnam, 30 May 2017 -- Between 1952 and 1975 some 44 missionaries were sent by the Rector Major of by the Provincial of China to this former Delegation of CIN province. After the revolution and unifica...
    Date2017.05.31 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views691 file
    Read More
  8. 4394(I)_Project Europe Goes On: Ireland (Ordination of two Vietnamese deacons)

Saint Patrick's College, Maynooth, Ireland – Sunday 28 May 2017 celebrating the feast of the Ascension By Fr. Dominic Binh Nguyen, SDB Tuam, Ireland, 28 May 2017 -- The last Sunday of May was such a blessed and joyful day for the Irish-Malt...
    Date2017.05.31 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views996 file
    Read More
  9. 4393_Dynamic Youth of Samoa is looking for more Salesians!

Young Delegation of the Pacific welcomes more EAO missionaries By Cl. Kevin Fiame Sailele, SDB Apia-Alafua, Samoa, 30 May 2017 -- As every year, also in 2017 the tiny islands of Samoa in the center of the Pacific celebrates on June 1st the ...
    Date2017.05.30 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views746 file
    Read More
  10. 4392_Let's be Communicators of Faith and Hope

Fact or Fiction: The truth in the Media By Mrs. Cecilia Amala Port Moresby, PNG, 29 MAy 2017 -- World Communications Day was celebrated on 28th May, 2017, with a thanksgiving Eucharistic celebration at the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians,...
    Date2017.05.29 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1103 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 ... 532 Next
/ 532