PGS
2017.02.26 09:39

4308_"God is the goal of my life!"

Views 1908 Comment 0

20170226_PGS.jpg

Celebrating 50 years of Priestly Service Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB

By Arlene Abital
Photo by Arlene Abital and Karl David Valmonte

Port Moresby, PNG, 25 February 2017 -- Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB, pioneer Salesian missionary and builder in Papua New Guinea for 37 years, was the main celebrant as he celebrated his Golden Anniversary as a Salesian priest, on 25th February, in the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Boroko.

His Excellency Mathew Vayalunkal, Apostolic Nuncio to Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands; Sir John Cardinal Ribat, msc, Archbishop of Port Moresby; Sir Archbishop Franceso Panfilo, SDB, Archbishop of Rabaul; Fr. Peter Baquero, SDB Bishop-elect of the Diocese of Kerema, together with 16 priests concelebrated at the Eucharistic celebration. The joyous and momentous event was witnessed by close friends of Fr. Valeriano, different religious congregations, staff, students and other guests.

Reflecting on the Gospel of St. Luke, Fr. Valeriano expressed his heartfelt gratitude to God and his many friends for the countless blessings he received during the past 50 years of his priestly life. He said, “Thank you Lord for choosing me to become a priest.” He reminisced the 60 days he was in the hospital in Italy and considered them as blessings of what God has chosen for him. “The Spirit of the Lord has come upon me and I will continue to be a Priest Forever!” said Fr. Valeriano. “God has called us for special purposes in life and I will continue to serve the church and the people of Papua New Guinea. ‘Dio solo,’ Only God,” said the calm and relaxed missionary as he recalled the words of the first Provincial Superior and Servant of God, Fr. Charles Braga, SDB.

The liturgy was prayerful with a harmonious choir. The Don Bosco Haus boys and some teachers of Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu sang under the baton of Ms Rica Lavilla. At communion, they beautifully rendered ‘Tu es sacerdos’ composed by Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB, Rector of the school.

The Apostolic Nuncio presented Fr. Valeriano with the warm greetings and message of the Holy Father, Pope Francis. Before the final blessing, Fr. Louie Castañeda, SDB Vice Provincial and Rector of Don Bosco Technical Institute, Boroko projected a video clip as a tribute to Fr. Valeriano. It included photographs of the missionary work of Fr. Valeriano in Papua New Guinea. Cardinal Ribat, the Apostolic Nuncio, Salesians and friends shared their insights and wished him Gods abundant blessings on this special event.

Guests were then directed for a reception to the newly-renovated multi-purpose hall at DBTI. Archbishop Panfilo shared high points of the 50 years they have known and worked together not merely as confreres, but close friends, who never once fought. He also mentioned that the Risen Lord and Our Blessed Mother have always been prominent features in the churches and shrines built by Fr. Valeriano, both in the Philippines and in Papua New Guinea. In thanking the gathering, Fr. Valeriano recalled the words of one student, ‘Every time I think of you, I feel joy in my heart’.

Special thanks to Fr. Louie Castañeda, SDB for preparing the occasion and reception, Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB, DBTS Rector for the beautiful choir during the Mass and Fr. Roger Miranda, SDB MHC Shrine’s Rector for the liturgical animation.

25th February is a day on which Salesian institutions present in 132 countries commemorate the Feast of St. Bishop Aloysius Versiglia and Fr. Callistus Carvario. The Salesian saints were martyred in China as they protected the lives of the girls who were with them. Their sweat and blood is a reminder for us to give of our best to our people in the EAO region.

Highlights of the life of Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB.

• Birthday: August 31, 1938
  • 1st Profession: 16 August 1956
  • Ordination: 18 March 1967
  • Official Arrival in PNG: June 14, 1980, Rector of the 1st Salesian community
  • The Salesians took over the St. Peter's Vocational Centre, Araimiri, and in 1985 re-named it Don Bosco High School, Araimiri. In 1989, he started the Salesian Presence in Orokolo Region, Gulf Province. He developed the Mission Station and Primary school in Lariau and was the Parish Priest of Mary Help of Christians parish, Lariau.
  • In mid-1994 PNG was made a Delegation and he was appointed the 1st Delegate Superior at the start of 1995 until the end of 1997.
  • In 1995, he started developing the East Boroko Area (Savio Haus, Caritas school, DBTI and Emmaus Conference Centre)
  • In 2001 (up to 2004), he was asked to be Delegate-Superior once again while remaining Delegation Economer, after Archbishop Francesco Panfilo was made bishop.
  • In 2011, he started working in the Archdiocese of Rabaul while being a member of the Vunabosco Community.
  • In 2013, he was asked to be Administrator of the Diocese of Kerema.

20170226_PGS0.jpg

20170226_PGS1.jpg

The Apostolic Nuncio presents Fr Valeriano with wishes from the Holy Father

20170226_PGS2.jpg

20170226_PGS3.jpg

Fr Valeriano with the concelebrants

20170226_PGS4.jpg

Fr Valeriano with Mr Vincent and family

20170226_PGS5.jpg

Fr Valeriano together with VIPs at the celebration

20170226_PGS6.jpg

20170226_PGS7.jpg

20170226_PGS8.jpg

DBTS choir sings 'Tu es Sacerdos'

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4310_Don Bosco Golden Jubilee Concert in Taipei

Make know Don Bosco through music concert By Ms. Jessica Li Taipei, Taiwan, 25 February 2017 -- Don Bosco's relic has been with us for a month, and Don Bosco himself a music lover and today 25th Feb the Feast Day of Saints Louis Versiglia a...
    Date2017.02.28 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views700 file
    Read More
  2. 4309_"Young People, discover the dream of God about each one of you!"

Youth Festival of Thai Binh Diocese: : The Rector Major visits to Salesian Family in Vietnam (8) By Our Own Correspondent Thai Binh, Vietnam, 26 February 2017 -- Two days of Thai Binh diocesan Youth Day in Thai Binh Pastoral Center in the c...
    Date2017.02.26 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1116 file
    Read More
  3. 4308_"God is the goal of my life!"

Celebrating 50 years of Priestly Service Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB By Arlene Abital Photo by Arlene Abital and Karl David Valmonte Port Moresby, PNG, 25 February 2017 -- Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB, pioneer Salesian missionary and builder i...
    Date2017.02.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1908 file
    Read More
  4. 4307(III)_Frank and strong invitation to live in radical way our Vocation and Mission

"This is the most important part of my visit in Vietnam": The Rector Major visits to Salesian Family in Vietnam (7) By Our Own Correspondent Dalat, Vietnam, 24 February 2017 -- Dalat Don Rua community (postnovitiate, quasi-parish, oratory, ...
    Date2017.02.24 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views526 file
    Read More
  5. 4307(II)_A Life Lived in Love and Fidelity

By Cl. April Jerome Quinto, SDB Manila, the Philippines, 23 February 2017 -- At 7:00 pm, the Salesian Family celebrated the requiem mass for +Sr. Celine Clemente, FMA in the chapel of Don Bosco School, Manila. Fr. Roberto ‘Bobby’ Roxas, SDB...
    Date2017.02.24 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views585 file
    Read More
  6. 4307(I)_The 2017 World Council Meeting of the Salesian Cooperators started in Rome

By Mr. Philip Yu, ASC World Councilor for the East Asia – Oceania Region Salesianum, Rome, 22 February 2017 -- Our World Council Meeting (World Coordinator Mrs. Noemi Bertola and 12 World Councilors from 11 Regions) started at 5:30pm and ou...
    Date2017.02.24 CategoryASC Reply0 Views851 file
    Read More
  7. 4306(I)_Run, Jump, Shout, Play but Not Sin!

Taiwan Migrant Oratory in Tainan By Fr. Pedro Porio, SDB Tainan, Taiwan, 24 February 2017 -- Tainan is a city bustling with many factories ranging from mechanical parts manufacturers to semi-conductors and electronic gadgets. The Filipino m...
    Date2017.02.24 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views728 file
    Read More
  8. 4306(II)_Salesian Family on the move!

Witness of Joy and Happy Vocation Rector Major visit to the FMA Vietnam By Sr. Anh Thi, FMA HCM City, Vietnam -- On Morning, February 23th, 2017, Fr. Ángel Fernández Artime, the Rector Major visited the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians ...
    Date2017.02.24 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views750 file
    Read More
  9. 4305_Re-reading of GC 27 (Mini-chapter) in Mongolia

By Anthony Kishore Minj, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 23 February 2017 -- The Salesian missionaries working at present in Mongolia gathered together to re-read, to reflect and to set a vision mission in the local (Mongolian) context from February...
    Date2017.02.23 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views582 file
    Read More
  10. 4304_Grow as open and dynamic Salesian Family

Witness of joyful service to the poorest young people is your future: The Rector Major visits to Salesian Family in Vietnam (5) By Our Own Correspondent HCM City, Vietnam, 22 February -- The last event of the RM's visit in the compound of t...
    Date2017.02.23 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1011 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 ... 533 Next
/ 533