Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1009 Comment 0

20160825_WOR.jpg

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla, SDB
Missions Sector, Rome

Yakutsk, Russia, 9 August 2016 -- Upon the invitation of the Province of Slovakia Fr. Guillermo Basañes sent me to visit our Salesian presence in Yakutsk. Salesians from Slovakia arrived there in 1992 to respond to the invitation of the local Catholic bishop to minister to the few Catholics scattered in the vast territory. When the Vice Province of Russia was established the presence became part of it. Upon its abolition a few years back it became again part of SLK.

Yakutsk is often referred to as ‘in Siberia’. Actually it is further northeast of the Siberian territory. Novosibirsk, the capital of Siberia, is also the seat of the local diocese. Yakutsk, instead, is the capital of Yakutia (or Sakha Republic) of the Russian Federation. It is known for being the coldest region of the northern hemisphere (from +35°C during the summer to -45°C during the winter).

Although Russians are considered to be traditionally Orthodox, in reality majority of baptized Sakhans do not practice their faith while many do not believe in anything at all. There are also many indigenous peoples who continue to practice shamanism. Together with Russian as the official language, the Yakut language is very widely spoken. Geographically it is in Asia while the local mentality is very close to that of northeast Asia.

From August 3-9, 2016, together with the Province Delegate for Missionary Animation of SLK, we journeyed with the 4 confreres working there to discern God’s will regarding the significance and prospects of our presence in such isolated and harsh territory.

In Yakutsk Salesians minister to few local Catholics and foreigners (particularly Filipino women workers) in the parish (the only Catholic parish in the whole territory as big as China). They also have a youth center which could offer many possibilities for initial proclamation to 20,000 university students who come to the capital. Recently they had a good participation of young people for summer English camp. To many youth English could be a way that could stir up interest in the person of Jesus Christ. Salesians also have a chaplaincy in Aldan 500 kms away where they reach out to few Catholics scattered around the area.

During the process of community discernment through discussions, reflections and moments of personal prayer, it became clear to Salesians working in the territory that as missionaries they are sent to plant and foster the growth of the Church by strengthening the faith of the local Catholics and foster initial proclamation among those who do not know Christ especially among youth and the indigenous peoples.

They also expressed the need of strengthening our presence with reinforcement preferably Asian Salesians who could speak English. As a result of these days of community discernment they were able to draw up the Salesian Missionary Strategic Plan which they presented to the Provincial and his Council for approval.

Yakutia is certainly a very missionary setting. Although the environment is harsh it offers us Salesians the great missionary privilege of planting and building up the local Church. Perhaps it is not by chance that the only direct flights abroad from Yakutsk are to Seoul, Peking and Hong Kong. I believe Yakutks beckons our East Asian Provinces: Come help us!

20160825_WOR1.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4112(II)_Annual Seminar for Rectors, Provincial Delegaters and Council Members

By Bro. Hilario Seo, SDB Naeri, Korea -- August 22nd – 24th saw the opening of the 'Reality Therapy’ seminar aimed at 19 rectors, council members and delegators of the KOR Province, 17 of whom came out to participate in the event held at th...
    Date2016.08.25 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1051 file
    Read More
  2. 4112(I)_Yakutsk beckons East Asia: Come Help Us!

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla, SDB Missions Sector, Rome Yakutsk, Russia, 9 August 2016 -- Upon the invitation of the Province of Slovakia Fr. Guillermo Basañes sent me to visit our Salesian presence in Yakutsk. Salesians from Slovakia arrived th...
    Date2016.08.25 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1009 file
    Read More
  3. 4111(II)_Growing together as Salesian Family

By Our Own Correspondent Hong Kong, 23 August 2016 -- China province, as the Mother province among the EAO provinces, can share many valuable consolidated traditions in many sectors of Salesian life and mission. Among the shining examples i...
    Date2016.08.23 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views742 file
    Read More
  4. 4111(I)_Tuloy sa Don Bosco as Evacuation Center

By Fr. Dennis Casaclang, SDB Muntinlupa City, the Philippines, 21 August 2016 -- From August 13 to 21 Tuloy sa Don Bosco street children village also became an evacuation center for 326 families or 1063 informal settlers - men, women and fr...
    Date2016.08.23 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views988 file
    Read More
  5. 4110(IV)_Growing visibility of Salesian Brother

By Our Own Correspondent Hong Kong, 22 August 2016 -- We are Salesians! We are Brothers and Priests! Our identity as consecrated pastors and educators is always expressed in these two ways of living our one Salesian Vocation. Hong Kong 'Abe...
    Date2016.08.22 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1158 file
    Read More
  6. 4110(III)_Salesian Mission Day celebration in Timor-Leste

By Fr. Joao da Costa Boavida, SDB Dili, Timor-Leste, 20August 2016 -- In the Post Novitiate Community more than a hundred members of the Salesian family, Novices, Aspirants, Salesians in initial formation and a group of young animators gath...
    Date2016.08.22 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1619 file
    Read More
  7. 4110(II)_Who is Don Bosco

Making Know Don Bosco through the drama By Fr. Stefano Yu, SDB Tetere, the Solomon Islanders, 16 August 2016 -- How to make know Don Bosco to our 200 students? Most of them does not know our Father and Saint before coming here in Tetere, Do...
    Date2016.08.22 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views883 file
    Read More
  8. 4110(I)_Aspirants Honor Mary with an Academy

Making Know Don Bosco through the drama By Fr. Fidel Orendain Lawaan Talisay City, the Philippines, 15 August 2015 -- In celebration of the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven, the Community of the Don Bosco Formation Center – L...
    Date2016.08.22 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1129 file
    Read More
  9. 4109_How to become a Salesian Aspirant?

By Fr. Carlos Cheung, SDB Vocation director CIN province Hong Kong, 22 August 2016 -- Four Aspirants, two senior aspirants (=after graduating secondary school) and two junior aspirants (=still secondary school students, form 6) came last Su...
    Date2016.08.22 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1824 file
    Read More
  10. 4108_Vocation Story of Cl. Bernard Kaiau, SDB

Whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. - Mt 16:25 By Cl. Bernard Kaiau, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 21 August 2016 -- I come from a Catholic family and am the fourth in the family with three brothers and one sister. My father is from B...
    Date2016.08.21 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views760 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 ... 535 Next
/ 535