by vaclav posted May 31, 2016
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

No Attached Image

EAO Good Night Talk (27)                                                                  

June 1, 2016

Salesian Brother in the Heart of Jesus!

Dear friends and confreres,

The Year of Mercy is going on, a wonderful opportunity to get renewed and discover the heart of Jesus – Good Shepherd. Before flying after 4 months to Rome, I pondered about the most relevant discovery of this semester: what difference makes a presence or absence of the Salesian Brother in our life and mission.

Already Fr Egidio Viganó some 30 years ago pointed that ‘if the Salesian Brother would completely disappear we would cease to be the Salesians of Don Bosco’. During three month visitation of one Indian province I encountered with surprise and sadness an attitude of giving up almost completely the vocation of Salesian Brother. Among 220 confreres there are only six Brothers and I didn’t perceive any move to relaunch a new generation of another Salesian Brothers like Br. Zatti, Srugi or Sandor!

Fortunately among the 214 temporary professed Salesian Brothers around the world there are 52 Brothers living in our region (America-60, Africa-41, South Asia-32 and in Europe 30). And we have every year some novices who opt to join the Congregation as Brothers. This year we also are proud to congratulate also the first profession of the first Khmer Brother Eng Sarorng!

Among 153 perpetually professed Salesian Brothers in our Region we are glad to appreciate many attractive models of living Don Bosco: founders of new mission, provincial economers (Vietnam, Japan and Thailand), excellent educators and technical field experts, wonderful communicators, principals, director of the mission office, spiritual guides, counsellors of the youth at risk, formators, teachers or the best assistants.

What makes the presence - life witness of our Brothers so important? It’s not so much for what the Salesian Brothers do, but thanks to their irreplaceable contribution to the family spirit in our communities, with their closeness to the poor and working youth and their shining witness of humble consecrated Salesian life. We know from our personal experience that their absence does diminish the effectiveness of our education and pastoral works. Also Brothers are the best bridge between the civil society or other religions and the Catholic community. Last but not the least, Salesian Brothers help us to face the danger of clericalism in some cultures. We give thanks for the gift of Salesian Brother in our provinces and delegation and pray for more Brothers vocation!

I wish you a fruitful month of June, month of the Sacred Heart of Jesus!

In Don Bosco

Fr. Václav Klement, SDB

EAO Regional councillor

FOR DOWNLOAD: EAO-GNT-2016 (27) June ENG.pdf